PAINT SILKIE BREEDING

Hey there, can you please let me know how to get a paint silkie.. im getting obsessed with how to create apint babies for breeding. no one in my area seems to have paints, just blue black splash and whites.
If a white and black can create a paint, how is no one creating them?
Recessive white doesn’t work for creating paint, and recessive white is more common in Silkies.
Dominant white is co-dominant, meaning in the heterozygous form it still shows up, just not as much.
Recessive white is recessive, meaning in the white doesn’t show up in the heterozygous form.

Black silkies can occur from a couple different genetic combinations. Extended black is easiest to work with in my opinion, non extended black relies on other genes to make it darker. If the person you got them off doesn't know what the black is, it will take test breeding to figure it out.

With white, you have recessive and dominant white. One test breed with a black silkie (that you KNOW is not a carrier of recessive white!) will tell you what you have. If the babies are paint, your white is a dominant white. If any babies are black (should be all black if the black silkie is not a recessive white carrier) then your white is a recessive white.

Dom white + Dom white = Dom white
Dom white + Paint = 50% Dom white, 50% Paint
Dom white + Black = 100% Paint
Paint + Paint = 25% Dom White, 50% Paint, 25% Black
Paint + Black = 50% Paint, 50% Black

Also you CAN use other colours in place of black. If you breed Dom white to Splash, 100% of the babies will be Blue Paint. Dom White HEN X Chocolate ROO = Paint Roos, Chocolate Paint Hens.

I have a very leaky coloured paint roo with a mixture of black, red and gold where normally just black is. This means his base colour is NOT solid black.
Can you explain further about the others genetic combinations besides extended black to create black?

I know it is frowned upon, but what would happen if I breed paint to recessive white? The one chick that I hatched in April (out of nearly 50 eggs, shipped eggs are a gamble) ended up being a cockerel of course. He is a lovely boy though. 😊
If the paint does not carry recessive white, then 50% will have the paint pattern. All will be split for recessive white. The colour under the paint could be anything due to the recessive white hiding whatever it's base colour is.

Well the recessive white that I have came from white parents which came from a breeder that kept all the colors in separate pens, though I know recessive white can hide a multitude of other colors underneath.
Thank you so much for your thorough answers!
My daughter still loves her Silkie Dinosuar hoodie BTW.🥰
^-^ Your welcome, and I'm glad she still loves it!

I know it is frowned upon, but what would happen if I breed paint to recessive white? The one chick that I hatched in April (out of nearly 30 eggs, shipped eggs are a gamble) ended up being a cockerel of course. He is a lovely boy though. 😊

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:
If the paint does not carry recessive white, then 50% will have the paint pattern. All will be split for recessive white. The colour under the paint could be anything due to the recessive white hiding whatever it's base colour is.
What will the other 50% be, white? What would their genetic make up be, assuming the paint parent does not have any recessive white? 🙂

They would be whatever the base colour is.

If your paint is double extended black, then all will be extended black BUT the recessive white could have ANYTHING. So you could end up with all black or paint, or the white could carry something that modifies black such as blue.

If your paint has only one copy of extended black, half the babies will be extended black. So black paints and solid blacks, again with the potential for modifiers from the white. The other half will be a total mix bag. The paint parent might have genetics for non extended black as well as extended black, it might not. The white parent's base colour could be ANYTHING.

And again, if your paint is not extended black based black, it will pass on half of that mix to its babies and the other half comes from the mystery white parent. You may not even get any black based paints.

You could end up with blues, partridges, birchens, wheatens, barring, penciling, ANYTHING. It is totally up to what is under the white.
Well the recessive white that I have came from white parents which came from a breeder that kept all the colors in separate pens, though I know recessive white can hide a multitude of other colors underneath.
Thank you so much for your thorough answers!
My daughter still loves her Silkie Dinosuar hoodie BTW.🥰

Back
Top Bottom