PAINT SILKIE BREEDING

Can you explain further about the others genetic combinations besides extended black to create black?

The more common black in silkies is eb/eb S or s+ Pg/Pg Ml/Ml and other melanisers (such as charcoal). Im not sure exactly how this one works, but I got the information from here https://silkie.org/silkie-colours.html

I think the above black is the slightly duller/earthy toned "non shiny" black some people talk about, while the "shiny" blacks with more sheen on them are extended blacks.

Also while trying to figure out the genetics of one of my hens who threw VERY wierd babies, I found that IN THEORY eR/eR (birchen) plus double charcoal can result in solid black. Charcoal is very common in silkies (where I am at least), it causes the darker heads on greys or partridges that I know some people don't like.

The more common black in silkies is eb/eb S or s+ Pg/Pg Ml/Ml and other melanisers (such as charcoal). Im not sure exactly how this one works, but I got the information from here https://silkie.org/silkie-colours.html

I think the above black is the slightly duller/earthy toned "non shiny" black some people talk about, while the "shiny" blacks with more sheen on them are extended blacks.

Also while trying to figure out the genetics of one of my hens who threw VERY wierd babies, I found that IN THEORY eR/eR (birchen) plus double charcoal can result in solid black. Charcoal is very common in silkies (where I am at least), it causes the darker heads on greys or partridges that I know some people don't like.
Cool! You are very knowledgeable! I learned something new. I didn’t know all this.

I know it is frowned upon, but what would happen if I breed paint to recessive white? The one chick that I hatched in April (out of nearly 30 eggs, shipped eggs are a gamble) ended up being a cockerel of course. He is a lovely boy though. 😊

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:
I know it is frowned upon, but what would happen if I breed paint to recessive white? The one chick that I hatched in April (out of nearly 50 eggs, shipped eggs are a gamble) ended up being a cockerel of course. He is a lovely boy though. 😊
If the paint does not carry recessive white, then 50% will have the paint pattern. All will be split for recessive white. The colour under the paint could be anything due to the recessive white hiding whatever it's base colour is.

If the paint does not carry recessive white, then 50% will have the paint pattern. All will be split for recessive white. The colour under the paint could be anything due to the recessive white hiding whatever it's base colour is.
What will the other 50% be, white? What would their genetic make up be, assuming the paint parent does not have any recessive white? 🙂

What will the other 50% be, white? What would their genetic make up be, assuming the paint parent does not have any recessive white? 🙂
They would be whatever the base colour is.

If your paint is double extended black, then all will be extended black BUT the recessive white could have ANYTHING. So you could end up with all black or paint, or the white could carry something that modifies black such as blue.

If your paint has only one copy of extended black, half the babies will be extended black. So black paints and solid blacks, again with the potential for modifiers from the white. The other half will be a total mix bag. The paint parent might have genetics for non extended black as well as extended black, it might not. The white parent's base colour could be ANYTHING.

And again, if your paint is not extended black based black, it will pass on half of that mix to its babies and the other half comes from the mystery white parent. You may not even get any black based paints.

You could end up with blues, partridges, birchens, wheatens, barring, penciling, ANYTHING. It is totally up to what is under the white.

They would be whatever the base colour is.

If your paint is double extended black, then all will be extended black BUT the recessive white could have ANYTHING. So you could end up with all black or paint, or the white could carry something that modifies black such as blue.

If your paint has only one copy of extended black, half the babies will be extended black. So black paints and solid blacks, again with the potential for modifiers from the white. The other half will be a total mix bag. The paint parent might have genetics for non extended black as well as extended black, it might not. The white parent's base colour could be ANYTHING.

And again, if your paint is not extended black based black, it will pass on half of that mix to its babies and the other half comes from the mystery white parent. You may not even get any black based paints.

You could end up with blues, partridges, birchens, wheatens, barring, penciling, ANYTHING. It is totally up to what is under the white.
Well the recessive white that I have came from white parents which came from a breeder that kept all the colors in separate pens, though I know recessive white can hide a multitude of other colors underneath.
Thank you so much for your thorough answers!
My daughter still loves her Silkie Dinosuar hoodie BTW.🥰

Well the recessive white that I have came from white parents which came from a breeder that kept all the colors in separate pens, though I know recessive white can hide a multitude of other colors underneath.
Thank you so much for your thorough answers!
My daughter still loves her Silkie Dinosuar hoodie BTW.🥰
^-^ Your welcome, and I'm glad she still loves it!

Back
Top Bottom