Painting the interior of coop??

Sure, paint is good. Wood lasts longer, poo doesn't stick. Prime first, then apply multiple *thin* (not thick) coats of paint, I like exterior semigloss but you can use pretty mcuh whatever.

Air it out til you think the fumes are gone, then shut the doors etc up overnight and in the morning stick your head in -- if it still smells paint-y, it needs more airing out, if it doesn't, it should be fine for chicken occupancy.

Have fun,

Pat

welcome-byc.gif
from MN

Definitely paint the interior. When it comes to cleaning time, you'll pat yourself on the back because it will be so easy. Really. Poo just wipes off with soap and water. Totally worth it. Do the floor while you're at it. And don't forget to prime. Super important.

I wish I would have. We put up paneling thinking that would be easy to wipe down... And I think it would have been fine, but it got wet over the winter from condensation around the heated waterer (and we spilled a couple times) and the chickens peeled the loose "paper" covering off the bottom quarter of the coop... Oh well.
roll.png

We primed and painted ours. I used a semigloss because I was told it's easier to clean up, which I found to be true. I left the doors and windows open for close to a week and did as others suggested, closing it up overnight then going in to make sure the paint smell was gone before introducing the chickens to it.

Not only does it protect the wood, but it looks nicer too! We did the walls and the floor as well.

Angie

Back
Top Bottom