Painting the interior of coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pixie12, May 2, 2009.

1. pixie12

pixie12 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Is it OK to paint the interior of a coop? Will it harm the chickens?

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Many people do but I would let it air for a week before using it for birds.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure, paint is good. Wood lasts longer, poo doesn't stick. Prime first, then apply multiple *thin* (not thick) coats of paint, I like exterior semigloss but you can use pretty mcuh whatever.

Air it out til you think the fumes are gone, then shut the doors etc up overnight and in the morning stick your head in -- if it still smells paint-y, it needs more airing out, if it doesn't, it should be fine for chicken occupancy.

Have fun,

Pat

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from MN

Definitely paint the interior. When it comes to cleaning time, you'll pat yourself on the back because it will be so easy. Really. Poo just wipes off with soap and water. Totally worth it. Do the floor while you're at it. And don't forget to prime. Super important.

5. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    I wish I would have. We put up paneling thinking that would be easy to wipe down... And I think it would have been fine, but it got wet over the winter from condensation around the heated waterer (and we spilled a couple times) and the chickens peeled the loose "paper" covering off the bottom quarter of the coop... Oh well. [​IMG]

6. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I wasn't sure if I was going to paint the inside of mine, but I am now. I like the idea of easy cleaning! Thanks for the post!

7. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We primed and painted ours. I used a semigloss because I was told it's easier to clean up, which I found to be true. I left the doors and windows open for close to a week and did as others suggested, closing it up overnight then going in to make sure the paint smell was gone before introducing the chickens to it.

Not only does it protect the wood, but it looks nicer too! We did the walls and the floor as well.

Angie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by