Mini bus converted to coop?

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
Ok. I know it odd. But wondering if anyone has done anything like this. Price wise it’s a couple 100$. Just wondering if anyone has converted anything remotely close to this into a coop. Obviously a lot would have to be done, rip the interior out, wood up and insulate stuff, add a ramp, remove the wheels and lay it flat on the ground.

Tossing it out there, hats everyone think?

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpeg
    IMG_4437.jpeg
    525.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think it's a bit big for a coop but that depends on how many birds there are
Well I plan on building a big coop, something I can walk into and attaching a huge run, at least 20’ long. I live in a very wooded area so it’ll all be fenced in.

Just thinking something like this would be cool as hell for a coop.

Code enforcement, HOA, DMV and the like might give you hell over this. I would do extensive research first
I don’t have an hoa, I own 65 acres. And it wouldn’t be driving. It doesn’t even have an engine and transmission currently. Hence the idea of converting it. I was think of taking it to the spot I want to setup a coop and converting it there.

I don’t have an hoa, I own 65 acres. And it wouldn’t be driving. It doesn’t even have an engine and transmission currently. Hence the idea of converting it. I was think of taking it to the spot I want to setup a coop and converting it there.
In my state a vehicle can have every single part removed and the state still demands registration and insurance for it. I'm simply suggesting that you research the laws in your area to prevent future problems

In my state a vehicle can have every single part removed and the state still demands registration and insurance for it. I'm simply suggesting that you research the laws in your area to prevent future problems
ah i get what you are saying, i'll take a look at it but i'm not to worried as you can't even see my house from the road, let along where the coop will be

That's awesome, do it!

I really wanted to use this old 40s-50s step van milk/bread truck as our new coop, that my wife's coworker had sitting broken as landscape art in their yard for many years, but his wife wouldn't let it go for some reason, so I made other plans and started my coop build -- found out a few months later they just sent it off to the scrap yard to make room for a trailer :mad:

I would try to keep it looking like it's sitting on wheels for aesthetics, probably block under the axles so it's not actually sitting on the tires so they don't deflate. All those windows might be an issue though with greenhouse effect, unless you've got some shade for it in the afternoons. I doubt you need to do much in terms of sheathing and insulating the interior.

That's awesome, do it!

I really wanted to use this old 40s-50s step van milk/bread truck as our new coop, that my wife's coworker had sitting broken as landscape art in their yard for many years, but his wife wouldn't let it go for some reason, so I made other plans and started my coop build -- found out a few months later they just sent it off to the scrap yard to make room for a trailer :mad:

I would try to keep it looking like it's sitting on wheels for aesthetics, probably block under the axles so it's not actually sitting on the tires so they don't deflate. All those windows might be an issue though with greenhouse effect, unless you've got some shade for it in the afternoons. I doubt you need to do much in terms of sheathing and insulating the interior.
Yea my main concern would be the interior. Obviously rip it out. Maybe put up some sort of material that’s easy to clean. There are trees around so it gets good shade during the spring/summer months so I don’t believe it would be an issue. I move in a week so when I get up there I’m gonna send them a message and see if they still have it

Back
Top Bottom