Pale comb on speckled Sussex?

katie_3487

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I’m new to chickens and awhile ago I posted about how my speckled Sussex stopped laying. She still hasn’t layed an egg in about 4-5 weeks and I’m really concerned. She is preening, eating, drinking, scratching the ground and everything but I just noticed today how her comb is pink. She has ALWAYS had a pink comb but I looked it up and apparently their supposed to have a deep red comb. But she’s acting normal expect for laying and her comb, what is going on? Also, forgot to mention, she is in a molt.

My leghorn hen, who usually has a super red comb, has shrunk up and gone light pink because she's molting and isn't laying with the light changes in the northern hemisphere. Unsure of her age since my neighbor told me to catch her as she was somewhat feral. It happens and is normal in winter weather when they molt and take a break from laying.

A hen’s comb can get a bit lighter when they aren’t ovulating, so if she is taking a break due to less light during the day, it’s probably completely normal. I think it can happen during a molt, also!

This is the time of year when some hens take a break until early spring. If she’s otherwise ok, just keep an eye on her.

Was she laying for awhile before she took her break?

When a hen is laying her comb and wattles generally turn bright red. That is a sign to the rooster that she is laying and her eggs need to be fertilized. When she is not laying her comb turns pale, that tells the rooster to not bother fertilizing. Hens typically are not laying when they are broody and when they are molting. Many take off the winter days and wait for the longer days of spring before they start laying after the molt is over, though some will start laying again in winter after they finish the molt. Her pale comb is absolutely normal.

And I agree with Aart. They can act different when molting. Not all do but they certainly can.

Back
Top Bottom