Pale Comb/Wattle/Face Otherwise Healthy Looking Fat Gal

OrpingtonHopeful

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Today I noticed that my largest pullet (about 24 weeks and not yet laying) suddenly has a very pale comb compared to her friends. She has always had a pretty proud, bright comb and today it is sorta shrunken and well, pale. Even her face looks a bit gray to me.

her eyes are bright, she was loving some cabbage loopers from the garden when I let her free range today, ate some greens, has fresh water, plenty of feed, oyster shell grit free choice, ACV in the water, and since it is cool and has been rainy I made them grits yesterday (they ignored them) and warm cooked oatmeal made with water but with a tad of 1% organic milk, non-iron baby vitamins liquid, and chopped soft boiled apples today.

We have have 5 inches of rain, temps in the low 50-60's during the day and 40's at night. They have a coop with heavy plastic over the windows (so not drafty, but ventilated by one window and at the eaves)- the coop is niec and dry, their run is wet and has been for the last 3 days, but all their feet look good....

I have to go watch her poop, I guess, I haven't seen anything of notice in the coop today...

Normal? Problematic? Any reasons for this?

I did a search first- She's not molting, not yet laying, not broody, not lethargic, or wobbly....

I know their combs will "fade" when they lay....is it possible there are any eggs hiding somewhere? Beyond that I have no idea
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom