Pale comb/wattles due to laying?

jjhere

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Smidge north of Seattle
I have a 22-week-old Ancona pullet who just started laying 5 days ago. She has laid every day, is eating fine and generally seems healthy. My 3 other girls all look fine. Should I be concerned? I've seen quite a bit about mites, worms, etc.

Thanks,
Julie

Her comb and wattles just suddenly turned pale? I would think that there is something wrong then, but I'm not sure what it would be.

I have a couple of hens that that has happened to. Both of them ended up being fine. I don't believe that the pale comb and wattles has anything to do with laying. Losing color doesn't happen until they have been laying for a long time.

I would try a little ACV in the water. If there is some kind of stomach thing, that should help. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone else can help too!!

Good luck!

Cancel that.
smile.png
Apple Cider Vinegar. I added some to their waterer. Hope that does the trick. Thanks again!

I have 4 Barred Rocks that are all the same age. 3 of them have really red combs, 1 has a paler pink comb. The one with the paler comb started laying a couple weeks ago, 1 other started today and 2 have yet to lay. I'm not sure if that all correlates. They are all healthy and about the same size. I've read several reasons why they would have paler combs, but I believe that some chickens just have a lighter color.

big_smile.png

She seems to be fine - eating well and behaving normally. Still has the pale comb and wattles though. I'm thinking they were more red until a few days ago, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Julie

When we would seperate non-layers out of the flock we looked for nice red combs and bright legs. When a hen starts to lay they usually get dull but not a whitish pale.

That's what I've read (about laying and comb color) We have a BR with a very small comb and wattles that are very pale. We got her 2 years ago and she was at least 1 then. I don't know if she has laid any eggs in that time but I know she doesn't now.

She doesn't even go in the nests and sit. We have a BR that's old and I'm pretty sure doesn't lay (her vent is completely dry) but she still sits in the nests.

I hope your girl continues to do well:)

Back
Top Bottom