Pale comb - what does it mean

Can someone please reply. I am concerned about my Buff Orpington. She just hatched 2 out of 8 eggs (French Black Copper Marans). Please note that this is my first time owning chickens. Anyway, I have noticed that her comb is turning pale. I have 4 other chickens (not brooding) and they seem fine. They are free range hens. What can cause her comb to get pale in color? Any help would be greatly appreciated. HELP, HELP, HELP.....

A hen who is broody and not laying, will normally have a pale comb. But I would look her skin around the vent and elsewhere for evidence of tiny bugs or mites.If you can get some Poultry NutriDrench, I would give her 2 ml orally every day to help build her back up. Then consider worming her with SafeGuard or Valbazen.

Hi I've been trying to read up, but can't find anything that relates 100% to what I have going on. I have a one year old black copper Moran. She started laying on time her comb was a deep red. She laid all through the winter and when spring got here she stopped. Her comb is very pale (light pink). She's not molting, no signs of worms or mites, she not inactive or seems to be showing any signs of sickness. I don't want to just start treating her for everything it could be. All my other chickens are healthy and not exhibiting any problems. Would gladly appreciate any feedback - thanks

Hi I've been trying to read up, but can't find anything that relates 100% to what I have going on. I have a one year old black copper Moran. She started laying on time her comb was a deep red. She laid all through the winter and when spring got here she stopped. Her comb is very pale (light pink). She's not molting, no signs of worms or mites, she not inactive or seems to be showing any signs of sickness. I don't want to just start treating her for everything it could be. All my other chickens are healthy and not exhibiting any problems. Would gladly appreciate any feedback - thanks

To Dechicks5 and also ConnieG ( recent posts )

This BYC thread might help you : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/554970/comb-changing-color-with-relaxing

Also, from my own experience, I have 3 hens, two of which have changed the colour of their combs in very short times.

One - had begun laying again beautifully ( coming into Spring here now - Southern Hemisphere ) ... and then stopped. Comb went from red red, to a pale pink for 2 days, brightened again, and the next egg was laid. THAT surprised me.

My Welsummer, had pale comb during a very very long moult this year - which is quite normal ... I picked her up ( she is not a cuddly hen at all ), to bring her inside to clean her fluffy butt feathers, and her comb went really red - I watched it happen. So - she was most likely not too happy at being in the laundry and being handled. .... She showed this agitation through her comb. Replaced her with her best friend, an RIR - and her comb paled in front of me.

While your chickens are eating, drinking, their poop is normal, they have bright clear eyes, walking properly, and there are no signs of illness, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep a close eye on them. Worming them is a good idea ... cannot hurt, unless you have only very recently wormed them.

( Both my hens are well and keep good health [ so far ] ..... all three are 4 years old..)

Hope this helps a bit ....

Cheers.

Last edited:
I noticed my Road Islands comb is pale and seems smaller. But, she is laying, acting like the "prick" she can be to the newbies and eating and drinking just fine. What I deduced is that she started getting the pale comb around the time she started molting. I still see some shafts and she hasn't fully completed the molt. To be sure it isn't ring worm, I have used a special silver colloidal ointment on her comb and waddle, and skin around her eyes. They have a dusting bin, and I add Diatomaceous earth to their coop bedding. I use a special spray on a rag in winter to wipe down their roosting bars. (I thoroughly clean that whole area out late fall). I do a deworming treatment on the whole flock using the The Poultry Store Dewormer...product. I am about to add Rooster Booster Poultry Booster to their food. The cold weather is stressing them more and some have yet to complete their molt.

Back
Top Bottom