Paper eating button quail

gwboolean

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
I had a batch of button quail and kept two hens as pets. There are two problems I have run into.

The first is that button quail are egg laying machines and I would like to know if there is anyway to shut this off in my pet quail without harming them. I know that light is important (I assume the number of hours of light), but since they are pets and not outside I am unable to reduce the hours of light they have.

The other problem is that for these two quail I have been using shredded paper as bedding. One of them eats the paper like they are worms and she just eats them all day long. I have not noticed this to be harmful for her, but I am concerned that it might be. Does anyone know if paper is bad for them. I know that paper is almost all cellulose and that should not be harmful, but one never really knows.

While slow release hormone implants exist for chickens and ducks to stop them from laying if they have a disease, I don't know if they work on quail and nobody would insert one unless there was an associated health issue. Laying eggs is a natural bodily function for birds and requires no modifications unless there is a health risk.

If you dislike having quail eggs, scramble them shell and all and give them back to your quails to eat or give them away.

I would worry about the paper getting impacted or reducing their intake of healthy and high-nutrient food.

Back
Top Bottom