Paper thin egg all of the sudden!!

I've only had one hen to lay an egg without a shell .

Attachments

• WP_20210919_08_56_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210919_08_56_57_Pro.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
It wasn’t shell-less. It was just very thin. Usually my ladies have extremely thick shells but these are quite a bit thinner than the grocery store.
This is possibly from her respiratory infection but to cover another possibility, have you administered a dewormer recently? If you have a vet, I'd ask them to run a fecal float. I always take the advice from Azygous but addressing any possible parasites, internal or external, is my next step.

It had a rough texture, almost like little deposits all over it. Do you think that could mean too much calcium or should I still get this stuff?
It indicates defective (or hiccupping) shell gland to me.. not being on the outside of a solid shell.
Yes, still get the stuff. Hens never lay shell-less eggs because they have too much calcium.
I agree.

What I wonder is if the gland is defective will any amount of calcium make for a solid egg? Or will it ultimately just be processed through the kidneys causing other issues? I mean, I would stick with supplementation at least a week to 10 days

Quick question.. when I mentioned a fast calcium source I was actually thinking along the lines of Tums. Would there be any benefit short term?

If you have a vet, I'd ask them to run a fecal float.
I would never worm an ill bird without confirming need first. But when in weakened immunity from one thing.. all things will take advantage and there could indeed be other residual effects not yet considered!

My vet told me this year that due to intermittent passing of parasites in fecal floats that I should do a round of worming once per year anyways in my location.
Thanks. I’m hoping it’s not a side effect of her respiratory virus. She’s been off antibiotics for over a month now
Were these antibiotics given by a vet? Viral infections can NOT be treated by antibiotics only bacterial infections can.

It wasn’t shell-less. It was just very thin. Usually my ladies have extremely thick shells but these are quite a bit thinner than the grocery store.
Since antibiotic kill good bacteria also.. I would consider (if you are in the US) using a supplement to boost her own immune system also (or ask what you've done so far for recovery).. something like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster.

Or a human B complex added to feed ., IF I had it on hand already.

Lack of sunlight doesn't cause deficiency in chickens.. otherwise the whole commercial world would be egg-less. You also never have to force a bird to eat more of their feed even when free ranging. If you taught them to fill up on treats just quit giving excess treats. People often are forced to change their routine once they see the problem they created. (no ugliness intended).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom