Parakeet grit??

lil'chickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Texas
I have 3 & 4 week old chicks. We haven't put them out yet and still have them on Purina Start & Grow medicated feed. When do I give them the grit? I bout some Parakeet grit just in case. Do you give them free choice of it at 8 weeks or when they go outside? My uncle raised chicks for about 10 years and he said I should get some fine sand and sprinkle it on their food. Not sure what or when to give to them. Just to let you know, we do not have any gravel or rocky areas anywhere around here. Planning to free range. We have caliche but that's about it. If you know about ducks, geese, and turkeys as well it would be helpful. I noticed some people weren't inclined to use Parakeet grit because of the calcium in it, why?

Thanks,
Sara M.

Congrats on your new chicks!

If you're only exposing your chicks to the chick feed and no other treats like veggie scraps or something, then they do not need grit yet.

The grit comes into play when their little bodies need help 'chewing' harder to digest foodstuffs. Examples are corn, scraps or vegetation.

I don't know about Parakeet Grit. When you say that it has calcium in it, it makes me worry that it would be tough on their kidneys. Too much calcium for baby chicks isn't really a good thing, especially if they're eating a balanced diet already with their chick starter.

Your Uncle is right on with just giving them access to fine sand. That way, you don't have to worry about too much calcium.

Hope that helps...

The parakeet grit I have seen looked like fine sand to me. Neighbor told me to start them on it real early like a week old. All of mine have done fine.

I gave my little girls grit after a few days. They hardly touched it until the day one of them jammed herself into the little bowl and was taking a dust bath.
roll.png

You can buy Poultry/Chick grit at Tractor Supply. It is fortified in so fashion but I feel comfortable using it once I start to give my chicks treats. I live in a area that fortunately has grass almost year round and I keep the pens rather large so the birds do not destroy it. I do give all the chickens grit because I am afraid they may not get enough from the earth due to the grass. I have used Parakeet grit too but it is more expensive when I have found it.

Me too. Buy at Wal Mart. (Or preferably a LOCAL pet store.) I didn't start with free choice until they were several weks old. When I started giving them treats, I started the grit. I'm one of those who doesn't do treats tho until they are several weeks old.

Ma

Back
Top Bottom