Parakeet or Lovebirds?

Parakeets or Lovebirds

• Total voters
If you are starting of with aviary birds then I'd suggest getting a budgie/s
Thank you! Would you suggest a baby or an adult? Would you suggest a breeder or a pet store? I know pet stores are not wonderful to their animals. (Possibly a pet store :hmm)

Cockatiels will need a much bigger cage than a budgie because if their size and wingspan, therefore costing more. Also, the bigger the bird, the more food you'll get through.
I always think it's cruel to keep cockatiels inside.
Could you keep them indoors at night and make them a little outside space and take them out often? I am willing to spend the money to get the proper care. Where I live the nights are rather cold. I am home a lot even without the pandemic. If I were to get a budgie is it better to get them at a breeder or a pet store. An adult or a baby.

I have a friend who breeds cockatiels. I will find a picture of his cage and post it on here. His stay outside all year round. He has an indoor section where they can go. You could possibly hang a heatlamp up during the winter.

Here is his cage.
Obviously you don't need one that big though. Just an example. Birds are much happier the more similar their cage is to their natural environment.
20201201_192215.jpg

I've had 2 parakeets, 1 cockatiel, and 1 lovebird, all at different times. One of the keets was extraordinarily friendly, the other wouldn't even sit on your finger. The lovebird was a male, and very friendly. The cockatiel I got used from a neglectful home, and she was also not friendly in any way.

Each bird will have its own personality. Look for a young one, and one that is interested and curious about you when you look at them. A single bird will be more likely to interact with you; a pair will bond with each other instead. A single bird, however, will require a lot of attention from you. If you're not at home for long periods each day, it will probably not thrive.

I always let them the fly in the house, but you must watch for open windows and doors. I had a canary that could fly through a sliding door when it was only open a couple inches. If you want the bird to fly in the house, I recommend a parakeet, poop-wise: small and doesn't stick!

I've had 2 parakeets, 1 cockatiel, and 1 lovebird, all at different times. One of the keets was extraordinarily friendly, the other wouldn't even sit on your finger. The lovebird was a male, and very friendly. The cockatiel I got used from a neglectful home, and she was also not friendly in any way.

Each bird will have its own personality. Look for a young one, and one that is interested and curious about you when you look at them. A single bird will be more likely to interact with you; a pair will bond with each other instead. A single bird, however, will require a lot of attention from you. If you're not at home for long periods each day, it will probably not thrive.

I always let them the fly in the house, but you must watch for open windows and doors. I had a canary that could fly through a sliding door when it was only open a couple inches. If you want the bird to fly in the house, I recommend a parakeet, poop-wise: small and doesn't stick!
Thank you so much! Yes, I am home a lot, I have a quail but he's not the type that will interact with you, he just likes chin scratches. My grandmother had a parakeet that was very friendly! Is it possible to train a parakeet to go outdoors? My mother thinks lovebirds are wonderful. My first recommendation to her was a parakeet. I am learning about cocktails. My mother is OBSESSED with love birds. I would love to help her with one but in my opinion, a parakeet is best. They are very cute and smaller. I have read that lovebirds can be a bit feisty. If I could hand train a lovebird for her I would love to, I just can't decide between parakeets and lovebirds. I am doing online school, she is working online so we are home a lot. Sometimes my quail sits with me. I would pay for it and care for it. We live together (I am not an adult) so we would both be with the bird (as well as other family members)

We have both indoor and outdoor cockatiels, most of which I hand reared. We have 2 particularly special boys inside.

Lemmy is our son's bird and he is the most patient bird. Our son is very lively, but he is Lemmy's favourite person despite the fact our DS is loud and doesn't sit still.
Lemmy.jpg

Then there's our little Sprout who had my heart from the time he came to us at 2 weeks old. Sprout thinks the world is for his convenience and though he is a little bird (his parents were feeding his much older sibling and neglecting him) he has so much attitude. He's fully aware of how cute he is so he gets away with a lot. He's a real chatterbox and knows how to get our attention. He loves our daughter and will tell her off for scritching Lemmy instead of him. 🤣
IMG_20200807_120830.jpg

If they were outside they wouldn't get the attention they think they deserve.

Every single cockatiel is a completely unique character. A hobby breeder for whichever bird you choose would be best if possible as they could advise you on the birds personality. Hand reared birds are more expensive but a young parent raised bird who has been handled a lot would make an awesome pet too.

Lovebirds are beautiful but you'd need to get a hand reared one to have a tame one, and they are best in pairs. They make a very sharp call which I don't like. My sister had a pair when we were kids and we had to swap the male for another one as the female wasn't letting him eat and was attacking him. They need a good sized cage as well.

Male budgies do chatter all day which I find annoying (but other people don't). They really should be in a decent sized cage as well as they are active birds.

Cockatiels have times when they are active and noisy morning and late afternoon but they also spend a lot of time snoozing and preening.

Th
We have both indoor and outdoor cockatiels, most of which I hand reared. We have 2 particularly special boys inside.

Lemmy is our son's bird and he is the most patient bird. Our son is very lively, but he is Lemmy's favourite person despite the fact our DS is loud and doesn't sit still.
View attachment 2433036

Then there's our little Sprout who had my heart from the time he came to us at 2 weeks old. Sprout thinks the world is for his convenience and though he is a little bird (his parents were feeding his much older sibling and neglecting him) he has so much attitude. He's fully aware of how cute he is so he gets away with a lot. He's a real chatterbox and knows how to get our attention. He loves our daughter and will tell her off for scritching Lemmy instead of him. 🤣
View attachment 2433039

If they were outside they wouldn't get the attention they think they deserve.

Every single cockatiel is a completely unique character. A hobby breeder for whichever bird you choose would be best if possible as they could advise you on the birds personality. Hand reared birds are more expensive but a young parent raised bird who has been handled a lot would make an awesome pet too.

Lovebirds are beautiful but you'd need to get a hand reared one to have a tame one, and they are best in pairs. They make a very sharp call which I don't like. My sister had a pair when we were kids and we had to swap the male for another one as the female wasn't letting him eat and was attacking him. They need a good sized cage as well.

Male budgies do chatter all day which I find annoying (but other people don't). They really should be in a decent sized cage as well as they are active birds.

Cockatiels have times when they are active and noisy morning and late afternoon but they also spend a lot of time snoozing and preening.
They are so cute!

Back
Top Bottom