Parakeet Surprise...baby pics added - **Update 10-21 w pics

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
We have two parakeets - one (buirdy) that found us, and another (lavendar) that we got as the 'buy a cage, get a free parakeet' deal when we had to buy a new cage for Buirdy.

Buirdy came to us one Sunday morning. I had a migraine and was out on the deck trying to get away from the kids and noisy house for a few min. My then 2-yr old came out and started saying 'Buirdy, momma'. I could hear this bird chirping - I was like 'Yes, OK, that's a bird...'. Finally I turned around to see what he was pointing at, and there was this parakeet sitting on top of our sunroom gutter. Long story short, we never found her owners so she became our bird.

Anyway, she's been laying eggs for over a year now, non stop. Lavender is a boy, we finally figured out, but she pretty much ignored him - after a year of no chicks, we figured that he just was clueless about women.

A couple days before our vacation I was really surprised to hear baby birds chirping in the nest box! Talk about a shock! They were just tiny things and we had to go on vacation for 2 weeks. Wasn't sure if the mom and dad would have a clue about how to take care of them, given it took them over a year to figure out how to fertilize eggs, but when we got back from vacation they were looking really great!

There are two of them, and they are already getting feathers. One looks like mom with light colored feathers, and the other has blue feathers coming in like dad. They are about 3 weeks old now. I THINK about another week and they will be out of the nest box from what I have read.

Here's a pic of Mom and dad - she's the whiter one and dad is the blue one. She's plucked out all her chest feathers to make a nest for her babies, and her tail is all curled up from sitting on all those eggs. I'll try to get pics of the babies when Mom will let me - she is not happy about my peeking in on them!

DSCF1017.jpg

DSCF1018.jpg

Last edited:
OK sorry to respond to my own post, but when i looked at the title of the thread, I realized it sounds like a recipe!

I suppose the recipe is:

1 male parakeet
1 female parakeet
Proper feeding and fresh water
LOOOOTTTTSSS of patience and time.

I'm not hand raising - tempted to try, but I don't have the time right now with everything else going on.

We will keep them, unless someone volunteers to take one. I am taking out the nest box when they are weaned and fledged and hopefully that will give mom a break for a while!

Susan

I am concidering getting some parakeets, (A female and male in perticular) Do you just feed them regular store bought parakeet food or do they need special feed to lay?.

I feed mine regular parakeet food as their staple diet.

I also provide 'egg food' - not for laying eggs, but it's a treat food that has egg meal in it. They love that, and have really been going for it since the chicks hatched.

I also give them green foods - romaine lettuce and/or cilantro several times a week.

And, of course fresh water and a cuttlebone. I get the ones that have a cuttlebone embedded into a mineral block. They really have been going for that more than usual with the chicks.

My birds never laid eggs until I put the nest box in there, but I do know other people have had their budgies lay eggs down in the corner of the cage, etc.

I used to have them as a kid, and swore I'd never get any more because of the mess they can make, but since Buirdy decided she wanted to live with us, I have to say I've really enjoyed them. Also, as with a lot of animals, the larger cage I have for them helps a lot in keeping the mess down to a minimum.

I should also add, that if you want them to be very people friendly, get a hand raised one and keep it as a single bird. They tend to be more people oriented if they are lone birds. It is also possible to hand tame a non-hand raised bird, but it takes a lot of patience.

Buirdy was obviously very tame pet for someone before she flew away to join our house. She talks a little but not so much since we got her pal Lavendar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom