Parakeet Surprise...baby pics added - **Update 10-21 w pics

Thank you that helps me alot. I had parakeet before his name was dollar and boy was he a pain in the B.U.T.T.! but then again that wasn't his fault he was never a human orientated bird cause he was a mejir bird and they never have contact with people other then little kids tapin on the glass. We now have a new loacal pet store down the street and they have very friendly birds. I have been reading that to sex parakeets males have blue ceres and females brown white oe purple..is colors. I would like a female and get her young get her human orientated then, maybe get a older male thats already people friendly...sound like a plan?.

GENERALLY speaking the cere color can tell you the gender, but it's not 100%, especially in lighter colored birds or mixed birds that aren't the typical green or blues.

Also, a tip is that the more barring on the head, generally the younger the bird. As they age, the bars on the head gradually receed and eventually the top of the head goes solid colored. It's not 100% either, but a pretty good rule of thumb.

Hope you enjoy your birds, whatever you decide to do!

Just an update... The blue baby - a day older than sibling - has fledged today after a couple of days of sticking his head out to check out the big world. Mom and dad are just sitting there looking at this guy like 'where did YOU come from' - too funny!

Here's pics of the blue baby
DSCF1061.jpg

Oh, and did I tell you s/he can fly?? I was very surprised when I took the baby out for their photo shoot that they both can fly - or at least 'controlled falling' Blue baby found the laundry hanging in the doorway:

DSCF1060.jpg

Here's the little one
DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

Its really weird how one looks just like dad and the other just like mom! It's been fun watching them grow!

So cute. You know my parents had a blue male parakeet that would talk so good. He would mimic us also. Polly passed away earlier this year after 10 years. Those babies could be soooo tame if you worked a little with them. I have never seen them that little. When we got Polly he had his feathers already but was not very old. Good luck with them.

Are they born naked like that? They are sooooo cute. I love babies...even funny lookin naked ones.
big_smile.png
Do you have to keep them warm since they have no feathers?

They are born completely naked - they look like little aliens - all head and tummy and not much else. And the eggs are tiny - about the size of the end of my pinky finger.

So cute only a mother could love... and she did! The mom stays in the nest and broods the babies and the dad brings her food and then she feeds the babies in turn. Very sweet to watch them together.

She stayed on the nest for the first couple weeks, until the feathers started getting in and the babies got so big she couldn't sit on them anymore.

She still goes in the nest often enough to feed the babies, but they come out around 4 wks and it's about that now.

Baby Blue came out today, so the other one should be out too in a day or two as s/he hatched about 1.5-2 days behind the first.

Back
Top Bottom