Parakeet Surprise...baby pics added - **Update 10-21 w pics

NOTE - just went back and realized this was a thread from last year... my most recent set of babies has just come out of the nest a couple week ago. The babies in this thread are all grown up now and living in luxury in the flight aviary.

Rio, parakeet babies are born completely bald and naked and feather out slowly. The wing feathers are the first to come in, and then the rest of the feathers come in. They can fly before they are fully feathered out.

One of the babies is coming in a really nice deep blue, the other a turquoise color. I wondered if they would be pied, since the mom is, but I think they are both going to be solids.

Last edited:
I'd remove them to an adjacent cage as soon as they're eating on their own. Looks like the parents are just a bit too helpful with their preening. ETA: oops we posted about the same time, lol

Last edited:
Check out the date of this thread - it was from October of last year....

The babies are fine, all grown up and have just the right amount of feathers.

I'm happy that they turned out ok.
smile.png

Hi, I don't know if anybody still reads this thread, but I have some questions. My pair of parakeets also just gave birth to three babies about 4/5 weeks old. The babies also have no body down/feather just like yours in the pictures. I am a little worried because everywhere I look, baby parakeets at this age are fully feathered. Ours have flight feathers and feathers on half of their heads, but that's it. How long did it take for your parakeets in this thread to have full set of feathers on their whole bodies? I just want to have some idea. Thank you very much!

Hi, I don't know if anybody still reads this thread, but I have some questions. My pair of parakeets also just gave birth to three babies about 4/5 weeks old. The babies also have no body down/feather just like yours in the pictures. I am a little worried because everywhere I look, baby parakeets at this age are fully feathered. Ours have flight feathers and feathers on half of their heads, but that's it. How long did it take for your parakeets in this thread to have full set of feathers on their whole bodies? I just want to have some idea. Thank you very much!

Sounds like there being plucked by the parents.

I am not sure about plucking. It's really more like stunt and abnormal growth. I've separated the mom because she attacked the middle one and now the babies are growing out down, still patchy though, and they are over 5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom