Parakeet taming

The best way is one that includes time and patience. Parrots and parakeets are very sound-oriented to talking and making sounds during the taming process will help out a lot, and spark the bird's interest in you as a companion. Set up a chair by your birds cage and set aside time every day to spend with your bird. The more time, the faster you'll gain trust. It can take a while, especially with an older bird.

Move your hand slowly inside the cage and if a movement you make causes your bird to flit around or try to escape, just stop and wait for the bird to calm down. Don't talk to your bird when it is flitting around. Only talk to it when it stops. This will encourage the calmer state of mind. Keep the bird in the cage where it is likely to be more comfortable and where it cant get away from you.

To get the parakeet to perch on your finger, you might try taking a perch from its cage first, so the bird can get used to a perch that moves around. Then substitute with your finger.

When I tamed my parakeet, it took about two weeks to the point where he was comfortable on my finger outside of his cage. You can expect it to take longer with an adult bird. I spent lots of time by his cage and got lots of hand cramps from holding my finger real still while he was getting used to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom