Parish Council Treating Geese Poorly

BeytonGeese

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Sadly, Beyton Parish Council in Suffolk purchased more Emden Geese after 7 were killed on the road and 1 by a dog. Unfortunately, they aren't looking after them any better than their first flock. The Youtube video below explains and shows how they are being treated. I am a concerned member of the public, and hope to find support from others

Sadly, Beyton Parish Council in Suffolk purchased more Emden Geese after 7 were killed on the road and 1 by a dog. Unfortunately, they aren't looking after them any better than their first flock. The Youtube video below explains and shows how they are being treated. I am a concerned member of the public, and hope to find support from others

Hi, I can see the problem. Poor things, they have to cross a road to get to their water? Is it stagnant? Where´s the feed coming from? And no stream either... does it only run during the winter? They have lots of grass, which they need, of course, but it all looks a bit dangerous there. And someone needs to clean up the poop on a fairly regular basis to keep the green good for the geese, too. Can´t they be fenced and get something organised to supply them with water on the same side as the shelter?

There are many problems with how the Parish Council perceive and treat these geese. Yes they have to cross that busy road to be able to drink from the stagnant dirty pond, its filthy. There is no feed given to the geese and they have to look after themselves. If there is a few days of rain the stream will run again and then it will be dry like it has most of the summer. During the winter when it freezes they will be without water until the pond melts.

People and dogs chase them, one was chased down and eaten alive by a dog until someone stopped the dog and then had the goose put down.

The Parish Council doesn't seem to want to feed or water the animals they bought and they are not willing to fence them in. Its a sad situation.

There are many problems with how the Parish Council perceive and treat these geese. Yes they have to cross that busy road to be able to drink from the stagnant dirty pond, its filthy. There is no feed given to the geese and they have to look after themselves. If there is a few days of rain the stream will run again and then it will be dry like it has most of the summer. During the winter when it freezes they will be without water until the pond melts.

People and dogs chase them, one was chased down and eaten alive by a dog until someone stopped the dog and then had the goose put down.

The Parish Council doesn't seem to want to feed or water the animals they bought and they are not willing to fence them in. Its a sad situation.
Get the newspaper involved, if someone does a story about this and gets the public outraged something might get done. Are these elected officials.

Sounds right up RSPCA´s street. If this were a private person, they´d be in there, so with a bit of support, they should be interested in the geese´ welfare too.

A local paper found out about what was going on and here is the article.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/beyton_t...sh_council_to_the_brink_of_collapse_1_3765753

I should have made the youtube video sooner to go along with this article as words and a few pictures don't show the situation as well as a video. People just see the geese on the village green as they drive by but don't fully understand what is going on and don't know why the population dwindled and then suddenly came back.

Now the video is up I am trying to get as many people to see it so they can really understand the situation and to grasp that it isn't right to keep geese like this.

The RSPCA was contacted and they agree that the village green is not suitable for geese and have told the Parish Council members this. The RSPCA also said how they have a lot on their hands with animals who are in a lot worse shape. It costs time and money to run an investigation and sadly the RSPCA doesn't have the funds for all cases. This case is low priority and I totally understand.

I wrote to the RSPCA and sent them the video yesterday hoping that the contact the Parish Council again and get them to remedy the situation.

The Parish Council members are not elected. They co-op their friends in, so when one resigns they get a friend in the village to join and there is no election. Its seems a very strange and insidious system and sadly this has prevented common sense in this situation as they are all friends and have got each others back.

Thanks for the support and the ideas

A local paper found out about what was going on and here is the article.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/beyton_t...sh_council_to_the_brink_of_collapse_1_3765753

I should have made the youtube video sooner to go along with this article as words and a few pictures don't show the situation as well as a video. People just see the geese on the village green as they drive by but don't fully understand what is going on and don't know why the population dwindled and then suddenly came back.

Now the video is up I am trying to get as many people to see it so they can really understand the situation and to grasp that it isn't right to keep geese like this.

The RSPCA was contacted and they agree that the village green is not suitable for geese and have told the Parish Council members this. The RSPCA also said how they have a lot on their hands with animals who are in a lot worse shape. It costs time and money to run an investigation and sadly the RSPCA doesn't have the funds for all cases. This case is low priority and I totally understand.

I wrote to the RSPCA and sent them the video yesterday hoping that the contact the Parish Council again and get them to remedy the situation.

The Parish Council members are not elected. They co-op their friends in, so when one resigns they get a friend in the village to join and there is no election. Its seems a very strange and insidious system and sadly this has prevented common sense in this situation as they are all friends and have got each others back.

Thanks for the support and the ideas
Ah, typical village council! Well, I can see why they want the geese there...they are on the village sign! Can´t the geese simply be fenced in then?

Exactly, typical village council.

If they fenced in the geese then someone would have to go and check on them, feed them and supply them with fresh water. None of the Parish council members want to go to all the trouble of doing that.

If they just looked after their animals there would be no problem and they could have as many geese as they want on the green to match the village sign.

Exactly, typical village council.

If they fenced in the geese then someone would have to go and check on them, feed them and supply them with fresh water. None of the Parish council members want to go to all the trouble of doing that.

If they just looked after their animals there would be no problem and they could have as many geese as they want on the green to match the village sign.
Did the farm used to span the road? How did the farm keep the geese off the road?

Back
Top Bottom