Parrot Chat

Hey @Quailobsessed, random question for you. Since a lot of parrot species are native to Australia, do you guys need paperwork to prove that your birds are from breeders and not just snatched out of the wild? I know here in the US to own any species native to your area there's paperwork involved and even permits. Heck, even domestic mallards which are hugely widespread as farm birds have to marked such that you can prove you didn't just go steal an adult duck off a pond. So it made me wonder.

Hey @Quailobsessed, random question for you. Since a lot of parrot species are native to Australia, do you guys need paperwork to prove that your birds are from breeders and not just snatched out of the wild? I know here in the US to own any species native to your area there's paperwork involved and even permits. Heck, even domestic mallards which are hugely widespread as farm birds have to marked such that you can prove you didn't just go steal an adult duck off a pond. So it made me wonder.

For most native animals you need a licence to own them. This includes all reptiles, all mammals (well you can only own two species) and all but 41 species of birds. These 41 species can be owned without a licence. None of my parrots actually require a licence to own. I'm just curious as to why these 41 are exempt. Cool question though :)

How's everyone's birds?

I just reordered pellets. Found out Amazon is carrying TOPS now, and the price if you do Subscribe and Save is only a buck more than Harrison's, so I figured I'd buy a bag and see how they like it.

How's everyone's birds?

I just reordered pellets. Found out Amazon is carrying TOPS now, and the price if you do Subscribe and Save is only a buck more than Harrison's, so I figured I'd buy a bag and see how they like it.

We just had some (kinda) minor flooding here and lost our Bourke's parrot, Gabriel :hit
I had just made a major breakthrough with him the previous day.

Is the TOPS thing only for America? I'm still looking for TOPS.

We just had some (kinda) minor flooding here and lost our Bourke's parrot, Gabriel :hit
I had just made a major breakthrough with him the previous day.

Is the TOPS thing only for America? I'm still looking for TOPS.

Oh no! So sorry you lost him :hugs

I'm not sure about TOPS, but I would check it out. It's possible that Amazon in Australia is carrying it too. This is the first time I've seen it on Amazon here.

For most native animals you need a licence to own them. This includes all reptiles, all mammals (well you can only own two species) and all but 41 species of birds. These 41 species can be owned without a licence. None of my parrots actually require a licence to own. I'm just curious as to why these 41 are exempt. Cool question though :)
The birds that require a licence usually are protected and have lower numbers in the wild, the licence is to try discourage people from taking them from the wild, the majority of the 41 aren't native and unprotected and the remaining natives I assume don't require a licence because they have larger numbers in the wild. Don't quote me on that but I assume that's the reason as birds are added and removed from the licencing list as they become more endangered.

Oh no! So sorry you lost him :hugs

I'm not sure about TOPS, but I would check it out. It's possible that Amazon in Australia is carrying it too. This is the first time I've seen it on Amazon here.

@Pyxis thank you.

I checked the TOPS, they're not available here on amazon. I'll see where else I can get it.

The birds that require a licence usually are protected and have lower numbers in the wild, the licence is to try discourage people from taking them from the wild, the majority of the 41 aren't native and unprotected and the remaining natives I assume don't require a licence because they have larger numbers in the wild. Don't quote me on that but I assume that's the reason as birds are added and removed from the licencing list as they become more endangered.

That's probably the reason. But the 41 I was talking about are all natives. They include sulpher crested cockatoos, corellas, galahs, princess parrots, cockatiels, budgies, bourke's parrots, brown quail, king quail, these are the ones I can name off the top of my head.
These 41 aren't including exotics, you don't need a licence for them as they're not protected.

@Pyxis thank you.

I checked the TOPS, they're not available here on amazon. I'll see where else I can get it.

That's probably the reason. But the 41 I was talking about are all natives. They include sulpher crested cockatoos, corellas, galahs, princess parrots, cockatiels, budgies, bourke's parrots, brown quail, king quail, these are the ones I can name off the top of my head.
These 41 aren't including exotics, you don't need a licence for them as they're not protected.
Yeah it is odd I'm not really sure on licencing, I only have Alexandrine parrots so don't have a licence and have only briefly looked into it.

Well, the TOPS pellets came in. I've given them to Luna and she seems to be eating them fine, which is not surprising because so far she's eaten any pellets I've ever put in front of her. I wish all birds were that easy!

Cricket is difficult. He doesn't want to eat pellets, only seeds. I've been trying since I got him to convert him and so far no dice. I'll give it a shot with these pellets and see if I have better luck.

He won't eat veggies either. Pretty sure all his former owners just filled a dish with seeds and called it good and never offered him anything else. I'll keep trying though.

Back
Top Bottom