Parrot Hatching Eggs?

For anyone near TN, try contacting Parrot Mountain for young parrots. They're closed until March, but they have a nursery where you can meet young birds, and they do sell parrots, too. They aren't cheap, but they are healthy, strong and very social birds. Not sure how young they sell them, but it's a really cool place to visit. About 5 minutes from Dollywood.

Quote:
Funny you should mention the brooders. I thought of that while I was out in the barn doing chores. I actually ran "retired" hospital baby incubators for the parrots. I sold them last year for the same amount that I paid for them 10 years ago. They were huge power hogs. But kept the temp. and humidity stable.

With amazon handraised/handtamed babies going for around 1000.00 each and the parents laying only 3 eggs a clutch it was very stressful to make sure all went well and survived.

A good breeder and someone that really handles their babies is the ideal place to get a parrot that will be your friend for a lot of years. The price of parrots sounds expensive at first, but once you have raised a few....it is like other adventures. One really has to do it for the love of the critter not the money involved.

Tutti, from my last clutch. She's my girl! I also have a double yellow head, and a yellow nape amazon. I call them my indoor chickens.
mailedD3.jpg

Last edited:
Not an expert here, but make sure you really want them. They live a looooong time. I've seen too many unwanted parrots ( all types ) in animal welfare places because people realize later that they can't take care of them for a variety of reasons, or they bird outlives the owner.

Quote:
Funny you should mention the brooders. I thought of that while I was out in the barn doing chores. I actually ran "retired" hospital baby incubators for the parrots. I sold them last year for the same amount that I paid for them 10 years ago. They were huge power hogs. But kept the temp. and humidity stable.

With amazon handraised/handtamed babies going for around 1000.00 each and the parents laying only 3 eggs a clutch it was very stressful to make sure all went well and survived.

A good breeder and someone that really handles their babies is the ideal place to get a parrot that will be your friend for a lot of years. The price of parrots sounds expensive at first, but once you have raised a few....it is like other adventures. One really has to do it for the love of the critter not the money involved.

Tutti, from my last clutch. She's my girl! I also have a double yellow head, and a yellow nape amazon. I call them my indoor chickens. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/scooteasy/Horses/Pets/mailedD3.jpg

She's a sweetie!!!

Eventually when I build that sunroom we will get another bird. Our Conure is 15 so she
has a while to go yet. Whatever we get my son will have to realize the bird will
be his lifelong companion since the bird will WAY outlive me. I'll also put something
in my will to take care of the bird.

I work on 3 generators at a place called The Last Post in Canaan, CT. Rich people
leave their cats and a ridiculous amount of money to this place when they die.
The cats live pretty well with lots of friends and very good care. A bullet would be
much cheaper but I don't like cats so I just don't get it.
tongue.png

Quote:
gig.gif
I'm with PC on this one.
he.gif

Dude, you gotta see this place. Just the land in Litchfield county is worth $10 million.
The buildings are old but they have $60,000 in generators alone to keep the lights
on for the cats. I can see a generator on the hospital building (Yes hospital building)
but on the living quarters. Light a candle for goodness sake, or just light up a cat.
roll.png

To keep somewhat on topic they do have a few parrots at the place.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, kstaven...the work with the reintroduction must have been interesting. I would love to hear more about it sometime. My first pair of breeding amazons were wild caught. It made me cringe, but they were in a place with such nasty conditions that my only thought was to get them out of there!

They had never even tried to lay eggs for the 7 years that the former owner had them, and my goal was just to get them healthy. I did not separate the pair as I thought the stress would be too much. 6 weeks after being here, they were laying eggs.(which hadn't been my plan.)

Do you have any of your thoughts on the reintroduction project posted anywhere? Gosh that is exciting, and I am sure heart breaking work at the same time.

Quote:
Bet they're really paranoid parrots...

lol
gig.gif

Ever hear a parrot bark?
roll.png

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Yes, actually. It also could yell, "Down!" (It could also curse like blue blazes)

I've also heard a cockatoo sing Rocky Top for all us TN fans!! It had an orange crest, of course!!

Back
Top Bottom