Parrot Hatching Eggs?

please think about contacting a recue there in every state . At least ask the breader what is your oldest parrot ? You'll know if they are in it for the money or for the love of parrots I'm 46 and have a 15 year old cocktail. Where are you in going to be in 30 years still having the same parrot? It is a life time comment

Hello ... I have been on a lot of sites for fertile eggs and most of them are in another country and others they just don't get back at anyone. but if I get through I will let you know.
Good luck to all.

Uh, those sellers are SCAM artists. Fertile parrot eggs just don't ship reliably like chicken eggs do. I agree with contacting a rescue if you'd like to get a bird. There are plenty that need homes. Baby parrots can be as needy as human babies. (hand raised parrots for several years)

I realize the OP started this thread a long time ago, but reading this made me feel the need to step up on my soapbox. If I sound "elitist", so be it.

Parrots are not cheap pets. Proper cages are not cheap. Toys (which, if used properly, will often get destroyed and need replacing) are not cheap. Proper food is not cheap. Yearly physicals at the vet are not cheap. If you want a parrot but are balking at the purchase price, that is only the beginning -- and perhaps a parrot is not for you. I've seen and read about far too many of these highly intelligent birds being kept poorly. If given proper care, most parrots can live very long lives. If you don't have the patience to save up for the initial cost, will you have the patience to keep a parrot happy, healthy and entertained for a few decades? It's sad to me that such intelligent, long-lived birds are so easily obtainable, yet homes flexible enough to accommodate them long-term seem to be more rare -- hence the growing population of rescue and sanctuary birds.

Perhaps you can find an adult bird waiting for a forever-home instead. And the idea that you need to start with a baby for a bond to develop is hogwash. My almost 23-year-old male DYH amazon came into my life at the age of 7 years, and flies to me when I leave the room for too long. He is ridiculously bonded to me, and calls my name when he hears me at the door when coming home from work, and doesn't stop until I let him out and give him hugs and kisses. I think you can see our bond in the pics below.

:)

Hello there... Yes you are right... they can be very expensive. I have had them in Puerto Rico but when I brought my big baby to N.Y she got very sick and past away. I have her for 10 years and I have not had one since. So I am looking for one now. In my area there are just to many shelters for dogs and cats.
I am still looking to adopt... so let see where this goes.
Thank you for your input...
smile.png

Thought I would add in a little bit.

I have worked with parrots both in a breeding and rescuing capacity. One of my first jobs was working for a man who owned a pet shop. He bred Amazon, African Grey, and Macaw parrots to sell in his shop. In hindsight I am disappointed in myself for being associated with someone who I would now consider a rather unscrupulous source for parrots, but at the time it was a great learning experience for me.

As for incubating parrot eggs in an incubator, it can and does work. My former boss had a small chicken incubator (I cannot recall the brand but it was a table-top incubator like the ones I see at the local feed store). He would mostly allow the parrot hens to incubate their own eggs and then begin hand-feeding them formula after a week or so. Helping hand-feed was one of my responsibilities too, and for a long time I was waking up every two hours over the weekends to hand-feed squawking parrots. :D

But sometimes the hens would not brood, or our customers would bring eggs from parrots that they didn't want to deal with. The success rate was low, maybe two eggs out of every dozen would hatch, but I owned a male eclectus who was hatched this way and he lived to be ten years old before dying due to an injury.

Most "parrot egg" ads online are scams, and like others have said I wouldn't trust eggs that have been shipped in the mail, but if you had someone local whose birds were breeding and they didn't want the offspring, you may have some success sticking the eggs under a broody chicken or in an incubator.

I have also heard of broody parrots being used to incubate other parrot eggs. I have a pair of eclectus I am hoping to breed soon, and this species is known for being exceptionally broody, so maybe I'll utilize her for other types of parrots? We'll see!

For those interested in getting parrots, please look into adopting. I have worked with so many exotic and bird rescues over the years. There are so many in rescue, especially the more popular species like B&G macaws, african grays, amazons, and cockatoos. Or if you own land and don't necessarily want parrots that can be man-handled, consider outdoor aviaries where you can house groups of otherwise unwanted parrots who were never socialized enough to be indoor pets. They are just as beautiful and interesting to watch as your exotic waterfowl and heritage poultry. :)

Last edited:
For those interested in getting parrots, please look into adopting. I have worked with so many exotic and bird rescues over the years. There are so many in rescue, especially the more popular species like B&G macaws, african grays, amazons, and cockatoos. Or if you own land and don't necessarily want parrots that can be man-handled, consider outdoor aviaries where you can house groups of otherwise unwanted parrots who were never socialized enough to be indoor pets. They are just as beautiful and interesting to watch as your exotic waterfowl and heritage poultry. :)

The larger parrots are very intelligent creatures and if one is patient enough and works at it even some of the wildest birds can become tame.
I once house sat a scarlet macaw that was wild caught but kept on an open perch in the house.
This bird would go nuts lunging at anyone who went by, I assumed he wanted attention.
It took me two days to get this bird to the point where I could spread it's wings and scratch underneath them
though he was still not 100% comfortable on my arm.

Best advice I can give about picking out a pet parrot is to let the parrot pick you.
You'll know what I mean when it happens.....

Last edited:
Your idea is completely insane. You said yourself your husband had a parrot but had to rehome it. Do you how many birds out there are in the same situation?

Don't buy from a breeder, either. Perpetuating the cycle is not what we need.

We need great FOREVER homes for birds already out there. I've been rescuing and rehoming birds for years and have 12 that cannot be rehomed due to mistreatment, abuse, neglect. So, they will be here forever.

So much disease in breeders places now, too.

Don't know where you are, but I can look to see if there are rescues that are clean in your area (disease is taking them over as well.)

You don't need a baby to bond, especially with an Alexandrine or Indian Ringneck. They love everybody!!

I implore not to breed!!!!! Craiglist is a good place, as long as they are local birds you can pick up. You can usually score a cage with the bird.

I've even seen birds on Varage Sale app and Facebook Marketplace.

Give a bird who really needs it a home!!!!

Remember, parrots live a really long time if fed a proper diet of only 10% seed, Mostly pellets like Zupreem and assorted fruits and veggies.

If you don't plan to keep it for 80 plus years, don't get one!!!!

I got this Indian Ringneck and an African Great from puppy mill. Got them both free. They are out there. Check with an bird exhibits at your zoo. People often think zoos take birds. Give them your number ask if they get calls to let you know. This is how I got started, as I volunteered with Lorikeets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom