Parrot Lovers - Your thoughts on this Ebay auction

Quote:
Sorry, I was barely awake
wink.png
My 9 mo woke me up and I figured I would check out what's going on. Teaches me to post when not fully conscious.

Other than the fact I think selling a parrot egg is so wrong in this case, they only show the one bird. How would you even know the egg was fertilized, or that they own a mate for this bird and then blame shipping on it not hatching.

My moluccan was wild caught and very neurotic. I tamed it but could never leave it. I was a teenager and had to bring the bird to work with me or else she started to look like that.
I had to place her with a stay at home mom so she could get enough attention.

Krista

Sorry, I hope that didn't seem snippy.
smile.png
This sort of thing does get me riled.

Nope, just made me realize I was wrong. I don't mind being corrected. I do that with poor dh. I'll be half awake and say something and instead of argue he just ignores me
big_smile.png
took him a while to realize my mouth(in this case fingers) works before I am even awake.

Krista

Quote:
Sorry, I was barely awake
wink.png
My 9 mo woke me up and I figured I would check out what's going on. Teaches me to post when not fully conscious.

Other than the fact I think selling a parrot egg is so wrong in this case, they only show the one bird. How would you even know the egg was fertilized, or that they own a mate for this bird and then blame shipping on it not hatching.

My moluccan was wild caught and very neurotic. I tamed it but could never leave it. I was a teenager and had to bring the bird to work with me or else she started to look like that.
I had to place her with a stay at home mom so she could get enough attention.

Krista

smile.png

This is an issue parrot lovers come accross.

I will be the first to admit we had no idea what we were in for
whe we got our Conure and Conures are simple compared to
Cockatoos. Somehow we managed to do ok with her but are
still learning, even after all these years.

Sometimes the best of intentions end up blowing up in our faces.
The important thing is we learn from them.

I'm sure klf73 will share her experience with others in a positive
way and many birds will benefit by it.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Psittizen Shikkin
tongue.png
) but do hand raised parrots pluck anywhere near as bad as wild caught? It's been a while (worked in a pet store) but all the chickens I have seen like this were wild caught. We never had the hand raised ones do this, but I guess that is possible if neglected. Well back to bed, maybe I can be more coherent in the morning. Night all!
Krista

see! I reread and I said CHICKENS! you all know I meant parrot right? guess that's what happens to me at 2 am
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png

This is an issue parrot lovers come accross.

I will be the first to admit we had no idea what we were in for
whe we got our Conure and Conures are simple compared to
Cockatoos. Somehow we managed to do ok with her but are
still learning, even after all these years.

Sometimes the best of intentions end up blowing up in our faces.
The important thing is we learn from them.

I'm sure klf73 will share her experience with others in a positive
way and many birds will benefit by it.

My first true parrot was a conure. Fiesty as he** and I love her for it.
I wish I had done much more research before getting my pair of moluccans. I have let them breed and I've sold the eggs and I'm definitely not proud of it. I no longer let them breed and keep them separated. My first chick from them does pick but we think it's from being moved out of the house into the bird house. We realize that she may stop picking and she may not but either way we'll love her with or without the picking. Neither of her parents pick though the male is a serious wife beater. They have huge flights and can see each other from just a few feet away but I can't keep them together. It's sad but it's become something that I'm responsible for and I wouldn't feel right by dumping the responsibility into the hands of someone who might be tempted to breed for money. They'll live with me until I'm gone or can no longer care for them.

Quote:
One thing that you need to be aware of is that many parrot species due to habitat loss only exist in any decent #'s in captivity at this point in history. Captive breeding and conservancy projects are critical to any future reintroduction attempts. And yes that often means utilizing the public and pet type markets to keep enough birds out there to ensure good genetic diversity for the future.

It is a controversial way of doing things but at this point in time there are few other viable options. Unfortunately the millions of dollars a year it would require to take other avenues just isn't available.

On this subject I can speak from long term personal involvement and experience. Both working South/Central American projects and dealing with North American breeding pools.

Quote:
You shouldn't be seeing any wild caught anymore unless they were smuggled in. There has been no importing since the 1970's. If you mean parent raised versus hand raised, I think you'll find the parent raised to be less neurotic as they don't bond to people who are more likely to leave. (and I would've pointed the chicken thing out if you hadn't
tongue.png
)

Really! they told me my bird was imported and that was in '89. My bird was $300 because it was "wild caught". Are you sure about the year thing. I thought a lot of birds were imported with the exceptions of certain breeds, at least back then. All of the literature I had back then supported that. Hmm, I would say I would research it but with 6 kids I really don't have the time. Ok, now really to bed.
Krista

Mullocans have been a C.I.T.I.E.S. 1 listed bird since before 89. But what was going on at the time before stricter regulations came into play was they where imported to New Zealand or another drop country and then brought into the U.S.A. It was the direct import from country of origin for many species that was banned in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom