Parrots can make amazing pets. But should they even be pets?

Awesome, you posted the article!!! I just went and reviewed it. Great information, thank you so much for posting it. I hope everyone reads it.

Thank you so much for your review. It is so encouraging. Also, thanks for adding that extra info, they're really important details too.

I am completely against breeding parrots and purchasing them from stores. I would only adopt parrots, and even then I wish every parrot could be in the wild. Sadly that is not the case and they cannot be released, so I just wish that those who are willing to dedicate the time to caring for them can give them the best lives possible.

I am completely against breeding parrots and purchasing them from stores. I would only adopt parrots, and even then I wish every parrot could be in the wild. Sadly that is not the case and they cannot be released, so I just wish that those who are willing to dedicate the time to caring for them can give them the best lives possible.

Thank you for contributing your opinion. Do you have any parrots? I like the idea of adopting rescue parrots. I have three galahs I'm fostering currently. Being rescues, they are quite difficult and I don't know a lot about their past, but it's very rewarding when we finally have breakthroughs.

Thank you for contributing your opinion. Do you have any parrots? I like the idea of adopting rescue parrots. I have three galahs I'm fostering currently. Being rescues, they are quite difficult and I don't know a lot about their past, but it's very rewarding when we finally have breakthroughs.
I had a parakeet for ten years and I lost him in September. I currently have a single zebra finch whose mate passed away and now my parakeet his friend. I'll be getting him a new friend soon. I volunteer at a parrot rescue currently and would like to get a parrot but I want to be completely ready to dedicate my time to the bird, especially one who could have a difficult past. ❤ they are the most intelligent incredible animals and they make me so happy. I want all of them to have the best lives possible so it makes me really happy to know so many others care about them as well.

I don't ever want to "hate" on someone who purchases parrots, as they often take amazing care of parrots and give them great lives. It's just that I wish that wasn't common because there are so many homeless birds because people impulse buy them. My parakeet was from a pet store before I really knew about the problem with homeless parrots. I rescue my finches from someone who wasn't able to give them much time and was neglecting them a bit.

I had to put down my baby "Moose" a Goffins Cockatoo. We moved to a new house this year, a big change for a bird. He began self mutilation. He developed a skin infection from his mutilation.. He was in a "cone of shame" for almost 3 months as his skin needed to heal from all the damage he did to himself.. We hired a bird behavior therapist, to help us work with him. We had a home visiting aviary vet. There was nothing we wouldnt do for his care.
Unfortunately, the cone stopped him from picking at his bandaged legs and belly, but he got to his neck inside the cone, he got straite to his own trachea.. Vet said if they put artificial skin there to seal the hole, he will just pick at it again.. So our only choice, was heaven..
This put me in a state of depression for almost 3months. He was just a baby (2yrs old). He still had so much to learn and I still had so much love to give him. He would go camping with us and go Moose searching to take picture of wild Moose in the mountains, and than nothing.
I now have finches to fill the void. As Moose really was my homes entertainer.
It's crazy how a normal life change for humans, can be devistating to a parrot.
JPEG_20200119_213744_5687562871858014790.jpg
JPEG_20200119_213857_7877086536145588145.jpg

I had to put down my baby "Moose" a Goffins Cockatoo. We moved to a new house this year, a big change for a bird. He began self mutilation. He developed a skin infection from his mutilation.. He was in a "cone of shame" for almost 3 months as his skin needed to heal from all the damage he did to himself.. We hired a bird behavior therapist, to help us work with him. We had a home visiting aviary vet. There was nothing we wouldnt do for his care.
Unfortunately, the cone stopped him from picking at his bandaged legs and belly, but he got to his neck inside the cone, he got straite to his own trachea.. Vet said if they put artificial skin there to seal the hole, he will just pick at it again.. So our only choice, was heaven..
This pit me in a state of depression for almost 3months. He was just a baby (2yrs old). He still had so much to learn and I still had so much love to give him. He would go camping with us and go Moose searching to tale picture of wild Moose in the mountains, and than nothing.
I know have finches to fill the void. As Moose really was my homes entertainer.
It's crazy how a normal life change for humans, can be devistating to a parrot.View attachment 2006751View attachment 2006752
I am so sorry for your loss. They are so smart and sweet, its so sad when they have emotional issues. What you did to care for him is incredible <3

Birds that are ment to be free, should be. I hated haveing to cage my parrot. He would always want out, and I always gave in. He followed all over the house and even outside. He had an outdoor aviary, which he only used once. He never flew away, far, when outside...just enough to get some wing time, than right back to following me around to garden and rake leaves. I loved seeing him feel free.
I hate that I added to breeding funding. And will not make the mistake again.
We did just take in a Sun Conure from the shelter... But he enjoys his cage and doesnt want to come out.. Hoping he eventually feels safe enough, to eventually wonder out

Back
Top Bottom