Parrots can make amazing pets. But should they even be pets?

I had to put down my baby "Moose" a Goffins Cockatoo. We moved to a new house this year, a big change for a bird. He began self mutilation. He developed a skin infection from his mutilation.. He was in a "cone of shame" for almost 3 months as his skin needed to heal from all the damage he did to himself.. We hired a bird behavior therapist, to help us work with him. We had a home visiting aviary vet. There was nothing we wouldnt do for his care.
Unfortunately, the cone stopped him from picking at his bandaged legs and belly, but he got to his neck inside the cone, he got straite to his own trachea.. Vet said if they put artificial skin there to seal the hole, he will just pick at it again.. So our only choice, was heaven..
This put me in a state of depression for almost 3months. He was just a baby (2yrs old). He still had so much to learn and I still had so much love to give him. He would go camping with us and go Moose searching to take picture of wild Moose in the mountains, and than nothing.
I now have finches to fill the void. As Moose really was my homes entertainer.
It's crazy how a normal life change for humans, can be devistating to a parrot.View attachment 2006751View attachment 2006752

So sorry for your loss. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Parrots run the gamut: some make great pets, some should never be in captivity. There are the moral and legal issues of keeping parrots as pets. After all the fires (both in South America and Australia) how many parrots will there be left in the wild? There are more Sun Conures in captivity than in the wild. I recommend Sun Conures as pets as they can meld well with a HUMAN lifestyle and we're helping out the species from extinction and poaching. Cockatoos DO NOT MELD WELL with human lifestyles... Moluccans and Umbrellas, especially, should be left in the wild and should never be pets (they make horrible pets because of their attention requirements and long lifespans - literally, not human to give attention 24/7 for 40+ years).

Having said that, why do humans enslave any animal? We either eat them, use them for security, use them for therapy; research; clothing, or to keep us company - they have little to no say what we do to them. Poor french bulldogs they can only have cesarean births because we bred their head to be so big :-(

I sport fly my parrots. Some days they don't feel like flying so I don't force them. They have a variety of fresh (chopped) food and quality pellets everyday, a 12-hour sleep night, and free fly everyday. I kind of think of them like dogs that live for a long time. You want them well behaved and socialized, have great recall, and have adequate exercise, sleep, and diet.

I don't have many of the issues mentioned above with my new world parrots I think because of free flying, their great diets, and plenty of sleep. Quaker parrots are illegal to own in California so I don't have one, but I did drive my Queen of Bavaria over state lines to bring him home from the breeder (please don't report us to the feds). There are moments when my birds are at their loudest (dawn and dusk) but we schedule engagement and other things during that time so their occupied and not screaming.

So other than the legal and moral issues of keeping parrots, I say get a "friend" that works well with YOUR lifestyle and EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE as much as possible with the latest and greatest research/ information on your parrot. And don't forget the great support system and wealth of knowledge of forums and groups like BYC, Facebook, and youtube
Check out youtube: Bird Tricks, Adventures of Roku (this guy is also Aussie ;-), Parrot Wizard, Mikey the Macaw, Marlene Mc'Cohen, Chris Biro

BTW: the California Coast has been a haven for over 90K parrots and as many as 12 different species are now established - it's awesome to see these guys thriving in North America after we exterminated the only endemic parrot to the U.S., the Carolina Parakeet. The parrots have refilled the niche.
Check out these Amazons eating berries from an Australian tree in Los Angeles:

Parrots run the gamut: some make great pets, some should never be in captivity. There are the moral and legal issues of keeping parrots as pets. After all the fires (both in South America and Australia) how many parrots will there be left in the wild? There are more Sun Conures in captivity than in the wild. I recommend Sun Conures as pets as they can meld well with a HUMAN lifestyle and we're helping out the species from extinction and poaching. Cockatoos DO NOT MELD WELL with human lifestyles... Moluccans and Umbrellas, especially, should be left in the wild and should never be pets (they make horrible pets because of their attention requirements and long lifespans - literally, not human to give attention 24/7 for 40+ years).

Having said that, why do humans enslave any animal? We either eat them, use them for security, use them for therapy; research; clothing, or to keep us company - they have little to no say what we do to them. Poor french bulldogs they can only have cesarean births because we bred their head to be so big :-(

I sport fly my parrots. Some days they don't feel like flying so I don't force them. They have a variety of fresh (chopped) food and quality pellets everyday, a 12-hour sleep night, and free fly everyday. I kind of think of them like dogs that live for a long time. You want them well behaved and socialized, have great recall, and have adequate exercise, sleep, and diet.

I don't have many of the issues mentioned above with my new world parrots I think because of free flying, their great diets, and plenty of sleep. Quaker parrots are illegal to own in California so I don't have one, but I did drive my Queen of Bavaria over state lines to bring him home from the breeder (please don't report us to the feds). There are moments when my birds are at their loudest (dawn and dusk) but we schedule engagement and other things during that time so their occupied and not screaming.

So other than the legal and moral issues of keeping parrots, I say get a "friend" that works well with YOUR lifestyle and EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE as much as possible with the latest and greatest research/ information on your parrot. And don't forget the great support system and wealth of knowledge of forums and groups like BYC, Facebook, and youtube
Check out youtube: Bird Tricks, Adventures of Roku (this guy is also Aussie ;-), Parrot Wizard, Mikey the Macaw, Marlene Mc'Cohen, Chris Biro

BTW: the California Coast has been a haven for over 90K parrots and as many as 12 different species are now established - it's awesome to see these guys thriving in North America after we exterminated the only endemic parrot to the U.S., the Carolina Parakeet. The parrots have refilled the niche.
Check out these Amazons eating berries from an Australian tree in Los Angeles:

Thanks for you contribution to the conversation and you dedication to you feathered friends :)

I use info from birdtricks all the time. I got my parrot diet from their natural feeding system cookbooks. I even attended a masterclass with them last year. They are amazing people, they've changed the lives of my parrots and I highly recommend any parrot owner or potential/future parrot owner to check them out.

Before I start, please understand I do not want to cause debates. I am not poking fingers at people or trying to make parrot owners feel bad for keeping parrots (I am a parrot owner myself). I want people to share their opinions kindly as I feel the parrot community is divided enough and doesn't need more debate. So please consider others as you post.

I just feel I really need to share this with people who have parrots and may be thinking the same thing or people who don't have parrots yet and want advice on what being a parrot parent is like.

To start, I love parrots. I am from Australia, the land of parrots and have grown up seeing wild cockatoos and lorikeets. I now have parrots of my own, all natives; cockatiels, a budgie, princess parrots, a bourke's parrot and currently a galah I'm fostering. I love having them and couldn't imagine life without them now. With the proper time and care they can make amazing lifelong companions...

...However...

...I said they can make amazing companions. I love parrots and I do the best job I can to look after mine, but they are a LOT of work and most people aren't cut out to own them. Here are some of the issues commonly overlooked when you lay your eyes on their cute little faces.

Parrots bite. I hate when I see parrots for sale and the add says they don't bite. They can and will bite when you misread their body language (which you will from time to time). They also scream. You can minimise their screaming along with their biting but there is no such thing as a parrot that doesn't bite or scream. These are just traits most people try to ignore when they get their hyacinth macaw (the bird that can snap broomsticks with those beaks) or their umbrella cockatoo (the parrot known for being so popular but so difficult).

There is also the lifespans. Some cockatoos can live up to 80+ years with some getting over 100 years old. These are the same parrots that are known for their attached-to-one-person issues.

Then there is the cockatoo problem. Now don't get me wrong, I love cockatoos. I see wild ones all the time and have a galah I'm caring for who has the cutest "hello" when he wants attention. But they are probably the most difficult animal I have ever worked with. They are very cuddly and cute with their amazing personalities but they seem to have the idea that the universe revolves around them 24/7. They are very demanding. There are so many videos on the internet of cuddly, playful parrots having the best time with their owners. That shouldn't be your research if you're considering a parrot. That's just the fun, playful part of parrot ownership. These videos don't include the part where your cockatoo turns on you for 'no reason'. Perhaps research should include looking up cockatoo bites on the internet and listening to their screams on youtube with the volume turned up all the way. Now this is not easy to write because my dear galah with his endearing personality is giving me the cutest "hello" as I type why cockatoos are so difficult. But this is just another problem - they are so manipulative. Any cockatoo owner would agree. Now I don't let my galah on my shoulder, he has a lot of behavioural issues I'm working on and having to bribe a bitey, hormonal, short-tempered galah off my shoulder which by the way is right next to my face is just asking for trouble. But he always wants my shoulder, so when I decline he gives the most endearing "hello cocky". Yeah, they're manipulative.

There is also their basic care requirements. There is really no beginner parrot when it comes to this. They all need the same basic care whether a budgie or a macaw.

They need a suitable cage. I keep my parrots in outdoor aviaries so that they get the sunlight that they need and so they can self-entertain when I can't give them attention. If they are kept inside in a smaller cage, they need to be let out daily so they can interact and exercise. They also need toys to destroy. I can't afford to always buy the overpriced toys from pet shops so I give mine native branches to destroy and I'm trying to make safe toys for them. But either way, toys are supposed to be destroyed, that is a sign of a healthy, happy bird.

There is diets. They can't just be fed a pet shop seed mix. They will become deficient in everything and get very sick or die. They should be fed a top quality pellet and veggies. Pellets aren't the be all and end all either. I have done A LOT of research (more than the normal human should perhaps) on parrot diets and most pellets are not all that much better than seeds. I won't get into this too much, perhaps I'll save it for another thread, but it is important to do your homework, consult an avian vet perhaps, do your research on the pellet you're feeding. They should also be fed vegetables daily. I feed this to my parrots every day. I make it in large batches and freeze about a month worth of food for them.
View attachment 1980398
I got the recipe here: https://birdtricksstore.com/collections/main-store/products/natural-feeding-system-digital-download
I know it's kinda pricey but has been amazing for my parrots and taught me so much about diets.

Parrots also need exercise. You'll have to decide whether you'll clip your bird's wings or not. I don't, I personally couldn't clip a bird that is meant to fly. My cockatiels were clipped by the breeder when we got them and one of them broke all his tail feathers when he would try to fly. So now that their feathers have grown back, I couldn't clip them. But whether they're clipped or not, they'll need to get exercise. They also need constant mental stimulation because of their intelligence. Larger parrots like cockatoos, have the cognitive ability of a four year old. Imagine having a four year old that lives for 80 years.

There is also the cost side. Parrots are expensive. I don't just mean the birds themselves (though a macaw or grey in Australia will set you back $4000), I mean the cage; some parrots like macaws are escape artists and need a really secure cage which adds cost, the food; pellets, especially the good ones, are expensive, the toys, t-stands, vet bills; avian vets are not cheap. I could go on.

Now there are some people who do an amazing job as owners and I congratulate them because parrot owning is tough. I see and hear about so many parrots that are not cared for properly and end up re-homed more times than years old they are and that is just sad. My galah is an escaped pet I'm fostering while the owner's being located, he has so many behavioural issues and I think it may be to do with the way he was kept. So I urge you, if you want to get a parrot, do your research, PLEASE, for the bird's sake. See if you can handle all their antics. Some parrots I wonder if they should even be in the pet trade *thinks of white cockatoos*, some people can handle them but many can't. I couldn't own a sulphur crested cockatoo, I get them wild at my house and imagining what a pet one would think seeing his wild friends with a better life is enough to stop me from getting one. They are some of the hardest parrots to own, I don't know if I could handle them.

I think I have gone on enough. I congratulate everyone who read the whole thing. Again, I am not targeting anyone or being a hypocrite. I love having my parrots and though they are A LOT of work, I put in the work because I love these birds and want to do the best by them. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this subject as there are many different opinions and I would love to hear them all. Can we all be kind in the way we post, I'm not judging anyone and I want everyone's opinion heard. If you have parrots or particularly white cockatoos, share some of the best parts and worst parts of owning them. How do you deal with their crazy quirks? Please contribute your experiences to help other people learn so we can all work to better the lives of our pet parrots.
Wonderful article here (because it surely is an article). It raises some valid points and I appreciate that you left the recipe for the food. As informative as this is about parrots, it also says a lot about people too. Some people are excellent parrot owners- and those are likely people who put time and effort into learning and bonding, hence have the experience to make it work the way they do. And then there are people who do the minimum or less, and expect instant gratification.

No matter the animal, it takes time and effort and a capable person.

Thank you for writing this.

Last edited:
Well, I don’t know, I have a parrot and he love a life. He constantly sings and rings his bells and he loves to come and sit amount the plants in the windowsill and sit on my shoulder.

My brother also has a bird. He has everything in the world. The biggest cage he could hope for. Tons of toys he can rip to peices and he loves my brother. My brother loves him too, they eat together (mashed potatoes is their favorite), the talk to eat other, and even do his homework together

I am not trying to start a ruckus and everyone’s veiws are good. Just adding to the conversation
image.jpg

Well, I don’t know, I have a parrot and he love a life. He constantly sings and rings his bells and he loves to come and sit amount the plants in the windowsill and sit on my shoulder.

My brother also has a bird. He has everything in the world. The biggest cage he could hope for. Tons of toys he can rip to peices and he loves my brother. My brother loves him too, they eat together (mashed potatoes is their favorite), the talk to eat other, and even do his homework together

I am not trying to start a ruckus and everyone’s veiws are good. Just adding to the conversationView attachment 2009637

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation. As I said, some people do a great job at caring for their parrots and giving them the best life they can. I just wanted to make this thread so that people could share their thoughts and experiences on this subject as it's a very interesting topic to think about.

Those who give parrots the best life they can are great. It's really sweet that your brother spends so much time with him that is the best you can do for a bird, as they usually bond to one person and need so much attention. With my bird whenever I was home he was out of the cage flying around or just hanging out with me because giving them attention is so important. It's just sad that some people think they can treat them like a decoration and never spend time with them.

Also your budgie is adorable ❤

Before I start, please understand I do not want to cause debates. I am not poking fingers at people or trying to make parrot owners feel bad for keeping parrots (I am a parrot owner myself). I want people to share their opinions kindly as I feel the parrot community is divided enough and doesn't need more debate. So please consider others as you post.

I just feel I really need to share this with people who have parrots and may be thinking the same thing or people who don't have parrots yet and want advice on what being a parrot parent is like.

To start, I love parrots. I am from Australia, the land of parrots and have grown up seeing wild cockatoos and lorikeets. I now have parrots of my own, all natives; cockatiels, a budgie, princess parrots, a bourke's parrot and currently a galah I'm fostering. I love having them and couldn't imagine life without them now. With the proper time and care they can make amazing lifelong companions...

...However...

...I said they can make amazing companions. I love parrots and I do the best job I can to look after mine, but they are a LOT of work and most people aren't cut out to own them. Here are some of the issues commonly overlooked when you lay your eyes on their cute little faces.

Parrots bite. I hate when I see parrots for sale and the add says they don't bite. They can and will bite when you misread their body language (which you will from time to time). They also scream. You can minimise their screaming along with their biting but there is no such thing as a parrot that doesn't bite or scream. These are just traits most people try to ignore when they get their hyacinth macaw (the bird that can snap broomsticks with those beaks) or their umbrella cockatoo (the parrot known for being so popular but so difficult).

There is also the lifespans. Some cockatoos can live up to 80+ years with some getting over 100 years old. These are the same parrots that are known for their attached-to-one-person issues.

Then there is the cockatoo problem. Now don't get me wrong, I love cockatoos. I see wild ones all the time and have a galah I'm caring for who has the cutest "hello" when he wants attention. But they are probably the most difficult animal I have ever worked with. They are very cuddly and cute with their amazing personalities but they seem to have the idea that the universe revolves around them 24/7. They are very demanding. There are so many videos on the internet of cuddly, playful parrots having the best time with their owners. That shouldn't be your research if you're considering a parrot. That's just the fun, playful part of parrot ownership. These videos don't include the part where your cockatoo turns on you for 'no reason'. Perhaps research should include looking up cockatoo bites on the internet and listening to their screams on youtube with the volume turned up all the way. Now this is not easy to write because my dear galah with his endearing personality is giving me the cutest "hello" as I type why cockatoos are so difficult. But this is just another problem - they are so manipulative. Any cockatoo owner would agree. Now I don't let my galah on my shoulder, he has a lot of behavioural issues I'm working on and having to bribe a bitey, hormonal, short-tempered galah off my shoulder which by the way is right next to my face is just asking for trouble. But he always wants my shoulder, so when I decline he gives the most endearing "hello cocky". Yeah, they're manipulative.

There is also their basic care requirements. There is really no beginner parrot when it comes to this. They all need the same basic care whether a budgie or a macaw.

They need a suitable cage. I keep my parrots in outdoor aviaries so that they get the sunlight that they need and so they can self-entertain when I can't give them attention. If they are kept inside in a smaller cage, they need to be let out daily so they can interact and exercise. They also need toys to destroy. I can't afford to always buy the overpriced toys from pet shops so I give mine native branches to destroy and I'm trying to make safe toys for them. But either way, toys are supposed to be destroyed, that is a sign of a healthy, happy bird.

There is diets. They can't just be fed a pet shop seed mix. They will become deficient in everything and get very sick or die. They should be fed a top quality pellet and veggies. Pellets aren't the be all and end all either. I have done A LOT of research (more than the normal human should perhaps) on parrot diets and most pellets are not all that much better than seeds. I won't get into this too much, perhaps I'll save it for another thread, but it is important to do your homework, consult an avian vet perhaps, do your research on the pellet you're feeding. They should also be fed vegetables daily. I feed this to my parrots every day. I make it in large batches and freeze about a month worth of food for them.
View attachment 1980398
I got the recipe here: https://birdtricksstore.com/collections/main-store/products/natural-feeding-system-digital-download
I know it's kinda pricey but has been amazing for my parrots and taught me so much about diets.

Parrots also need exercise. You'll have to decide whether you'll clip your bird's wings or not. I don't, I personally couldn't clip a bird that is meant to fly. My cockatiels were clipped by the breeder when we got them and one of them broke all his tail feathers when he would try to fly. So now that their feathers have grown back, I couldn't clip them. But whether they're clipped or not, they'll need to get exercise. They also need constant mental stimulation because of their intelligence. Larger parrots like cockatoos, have the cognitive ability of a four year old. Imagine having a four year old that lives for 80 years.

There is also the cost side. Parrots are expensive. I don't just mean the birds themselves (though a macaw or grey in Australia will set you back $4000), I mean the cage; some parrots like macaws are escape artists and need a really secure cage which adds cost, the food; pellets, especially the good ones, are expensive, the toys, t-stands, vet bills; avian vets are not cheap. I could go on.

Now there are some people who do an amazing job as owners and I congratulate them because parrot owning is tough. I see and hear about so many parrots that are not cared for properly and end up re-homed more times than years old they are and that is just sad. My galah is an escaped pet I'm fostering while the owner's being located, he has so many behavioural issues and I think it may be to do with the way he was kept. So I urge you, if you want to get a parrot, do your research, PLEASE, for the bird's sake. See if you can handle all their antics. Some parrots I wonder if they should even be in the pet trade *thinks of white cockatoos*, some people can handle them but many can't. I couldn't own a sulphur crested cockatoo, I get them wild at my house and imagining what a pet one would think seeing his wild friends with a better life is enough to stop me from getting one. They are some of the hardest parrots to own, I don't know if I could handle them.

I think I have gone on enough. I congratulate everyone who read the whole thing. Again, I am not targeting anyone or being a hypocrite. I love having my parrots and though they are A LOT of work, I put in the work because I love these birds and want to do the best by them. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this subject as there are many different opinions and I would love to hear them all. Can we all be kind in the way we post, I'm not judging anyone and I want everyone's opinion heard. If you have parrots or particularly white cockatoos, share some of the best parts and worst parts of owning them. How do you deal with their crazy quirks? Please contribute your experiences to help other people learn so we can all work to better the lives of our pet parrots.
I think your completely correct. There are so many parrots that are kept in cages put in basements not let out for years because of hormones or the owner gets a bite or they can’t handle the noise. I heard a man say once that he thought of drowning his cockatoo because he couldn’t take care of it and didn’t know what to do. I see parrots that have plucked their feathers because they are bored or sick and some people inherit a parrot who has no idea how to care for it nor the desire. If a bird is neglected and has behavioral issues it makes me angry when someone is selling it for a high price. So much work and effort will have to go into helping that bird and it’s greed to keep a bird in misery over making a profit. I want a parrot so badly but it’s impossible to get ahold of the rescues. I have the time and the desire as well as the foresight into all the down sides yet I long to care for one. I don’t think they should be pets but the issue is that they are and there are some who would not survive in the wild. I think wing clipping is barbaric and those with birds need to learn about recall training and target training so they can allow their birds to fly. Birds are meant to fly when they don’t they develop issues with their muscles and it’s not healthy. Why would someone want a bird and then intentionally clip its wings... it’s ignorance. I used to clip my budgies wings and feed her seeds because I was 12 and that’s what I was taught but seeds are fattening and birds that are domesticated shouldn’t be fed a lot of them. I watch bird tricks videos on YouTube. They are listed in the link showing the chop recipe above. They are super helpful in training people to understand how to communicate with their parrots and offer courses for teaching birds free flight which isn’t for everyone but at the very least if your bird gets out you have a chance of getting it back. So no parrots shouldn’t be pets but they are and people who don’t want the huge responsibility who are keeping a parrot in misery and neglect should rehome their parrot to someone who wants to give them the life they deserve. I also think having a will or setting up a place for your parrot to go if you pass away would be very smart. They deserve better and I hope people wake up and start to see them more than something to look at in a cage. I wish there was a way for people who don’t want to care for their parrots to get ahold of those that do more easily. Rescues seem to be so inundated that I have been calling and messaging for months just to go in to meet the birds. I am now considering buying a baby which I think is really sad because I have had birds in the past I have a natural instinct for them and I crave to have one. I don’t know why I just love birds and when I hear stories of the ones who are unwanted or neglected it’s just such a tragedy. It is hard to see a bird in a cage I have seen videos of them when their owners are at work and they look like they are going to go stir crazy especially breeds with tons of energy like ring neck parrokeets. I don’t want one to fill some void in my life I have a dog for that... haha. I just know I have what it takes and I’m in the minority yet I just cant reach a rescue I have tried. Maybe it’s the universe telling me it’s not the right time and I shouldn’t jump the gun and go get a baby just because I’ve waited for two years now.

Last edited:
Great thread here. I'll comment more, on the way out the door, but yes, even when they don't mean to, they can bite you. I had mine on my arm / hand and we were walking to the chair to sit down and watch some TV. I banged my arm on the fridgerator really hard, it shook him really hard, he lost his balance, it put me off mine. He instinctively reached out to balance himself, and they do that by grabbing on whatever is the first thing they can get their beaks on. It happened to be my finger. That one took a while to heal. He felt really bad about it afterwards but it happened. Another thing people need to know, cockatoos can and DO play rough, and when you ARE playing with them, they can and DO get excited and can sometimes step over the line or get a bit out of control, just like a child. So if he's all happy at trying to play 'catch the snake' with the toy snake im smacking him upside the head with, if I am not quick, im gonna git bit, and hard too.

Body Language, sometimes they don't want to be messed with, people don't understand this or say, oh, being snooty today huh? Well I'll show you, you think, "Oh, Ill just grab him and cuddle him and it'll cheer him right up!! I'll turn that feathered frown upside down!! Then can't figure out why the bird bit the everliving crap out of you. Paco, most times he will give me a warning, he will grab my finger, squeeze it to the point where its starting to hurt but not break skin, and push my hand away from him, let go and kind of give me a look. That was my ONE and ONLY warning to leave him alone. If i grab him again, oh it's on, better get the needle thread and a kleenex.

I'll leave it at this for now, i have to go.
P.S. Cockatoos can literally crumple up and chew holes in a steel beer bottle cap. THink what they can do to you if they wanted.

Sorry, this is an older thread but I'd like to weigh in on it.
I have 2 main birds, the rest are in a big avairy together and don't like me. The first is my pet, a rainbow lorikeet given to me by my parents when I was brave and got my needles with no concerns as a toddler. They knew I'd look after him and dad could show me the ropes of how to. He's a great bird. Bites a bit but usually only when I pick him up when he doesn't want to be picked up or if he's sitting on my shoulder and I make a touch too much noise. Squarks a bit too but I don't mind.

The second is a cockatoo. Beautiful girl. Her wings aren't clipped but when she's let out she just wanders around usually following us. She never used to like me but now she tolerates me, probably because I feed her now. She lets me pick her up and she'll sit on my shoulder. I haven't had her bite me yet but she does bite. I understand the risks of having her on my shoulder but I like having both of them on my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom