Partially impacted crop

She still has diarrhea 😭
Mine is only just getting past the diarrhea and it has been a month. I just stopped the Gatorade because she has started eating. Again after several weeks.
I think it just takes a while to recover and rebuilding feathers is a drain on them.
I am starting to offer yoghurt and kefir to help get her gut flora in better shape.
I think my little lady is beginning to turn the corner I hope your is following the same path

Mine is only just getting past the diarrhea and it has been a month. I just stopped the Gatorade because she has started eating. Again after several weeks.
I think it just takes a while to recover and rebuilding feathers is a drain on them.
I am starting to offer yoghurt and kefir to help get her gut flora in better shape.
I think my little lady is beginning to turn the corner I hope your is following the same path
Luna Petunia is eating some. Last night she was crazy about pellets, but she needs fluids so I'm pushing mash and the rice/raw egg mixture. I worry she'll end up fully impacted if she gorges on dry pellets. She's finished 2 dishes of rice and egg but barely touched the mash, if at all. She hasn't had enough water, in my opinion but I'm encouraging it and contemplating tubing more into her crop. Unfortunately a vet isn't an option, especially right now.

Any ideas about metronidazole being helpful with diarrhea? I certainly don't want to cause more problems but I am at a loss
Sorry. I don’t have experience but my bias would be against using anything.
As long as you are keeping up with fluid and electrolytes the diarrhea is just a symptom not a problem in itself.
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and unless you know what infection you are treating and so you know you need it, an antibiotic is more likely to make diarrhea worse because it kills all the good bacteria in the gut.

Sorry. I don’t have experience but my bias would be against using anything.
As long as you are keeping up with fluid and electrolytes the diarrhea is just a symptom not a problem in itself.
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and unless you know what infection you are treating and so you know you need it, an antibiotic is more likely to make diarrhea worse because it kills all the good bacteria in the gut.
That makes sense. My vet always gives me an Rx for it anytime my dog has stress colitis or a tummy ache/bowel problems. My apologies. Seriously my brain isn't working so well with so much going on. I'm just trying to find something to help. Sounds like supportive care is going to be most helpful. I hope I'm not doing too much rice and egg but I figured I'd try to get her to eat a little more whenever I massage her crop before I leave for the night. I need to take the scales out to the shop so I can get her weight while I'm handling her. She's with her flock right now (they're up for the night) but I plan to take her off the roost for her new nightly routine. Since I have an extra pair of helping hands, I am going to read up on tubing but I will need to get the courage to do it. My crop bra idea isn't working so I'm going to go over Carol's threads again very carefully and try again. I looked into ordering one since life is so hectic right now but the shipping looks like it's going to take too long to get here.

Photos of the poop?

I would not give an antibiotic like Metronidazole to her.
Was her crop empty this morning?
I'll get pictures whenever I get home in the morning. Her crop was not empty. She was eating before I got to her to check but there's no possible way her crop was empty before she started in on the rice/egg dish this morning.
Once again, she gobbled the frozen coconut chips up like its her favorite food. She's not happy with me encouraging water but I'm encouraging as much as possible. I ran out of time to study up on tubing so I was unable to try.

Feeding coconut oil, raw egg, cooked egg im not surprised there is diarreah. If you can rule out that there is a blockage, you probably would be better to return to a normal pellet diet with the extra water to her as needed in the evening and morning if the food hasn't emptied. Supplemental vitamin k or vegetables. Instead of glucose flush, try occasional fruit. I guess what you feed depends on what you have available to you, but try to return to your formulated pellet diet. What does the rest of your flock eat?

Most of the time a bird is sick, they lose their appetite. But your hen is ravaging food. Why are you limiting her access to her formulated pellet feed? My healthy hens go to sleep at night with huge bulging solid crops.

That makes sense. My vet always gives me an Rx for it anytime my dog has stress colitis or a tummy ache/bowel problems. My apologies. Seriously my brain isn't working so well with so much going on. I'm just trying to find something to help. Sounds like supportive care is going to be most helpful. I hope I'm not doing too much rice and egg but I figured I'd try to get her to eat a little more whenever I massage her crop before I leave for the night. I need to take the scales out to the shop so I can get her weight while I'm handling her. She's with her flock right now (they're up for the night) but I plan to take her off the roost for her new nightly routine. Since I have an extra pair of helping hands, I am going to read up on tubing but I will need to get the courage to do it. My crop bra idea isn't working so I'm going to go over Carol's threads again very carefully and try again. I looked into ordering one since life is so hectic right now but the shipping looks like it's going to take too long to get here.
I would not tube her if she is eating. Massage, electrolytes, calories and patience!

Back
Top Bottom