Partridge cochin gender?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I've been watching one of our chicks, Olivia, ever since we got her. She is supposed to be a girl, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it's quite early to tell, she's 18 days old, but I hope I can get some help. She's bigger, the least feathered, comb is coming, and the most alert and active of the three. Gracie, the black/blue cochin is the same age but much more feathered. Harley, the EE is younger but a little more feathered. Are some female chicks active, alert, and slow at feathering?

Harley

Gracie

Possible it's a roo. If so they tend to be VERY layed back, sweet boys. We coddled ours and he turned out wonderful. Very beautiful, too.

If you click on it you can see all his bootiful colors

I would love a rooster but we can't keep it if it's a boy. We already had to give away a cockerel, I don't want it to happen again. :( That's interesting that roosters tend to be laid back, she/he's the opposite of that. I know every rooster is different, but does your's crow a lot?

Not really, and even then we have 3 Roos haha
Well ours was brought up underneath the supervision of a roo and hens
If he turns out to be a boy, you can get your neighbors to sign a petition saying the rooster is OK. Some towns will allow that
To decrease crowing, you can keep him in a box that's dark (ventilated) during the night and around the earlier hours of the morning.
But that's only if your neighbors comply and the town complies

I believe the other is a large size. The bantams were in another cage, they were straight run. The other cochin has quite a bit of leg feathers. I'll try get more pictures.

I think it is still a little early to tell. At that age i swore i had one roo and 3 pullets. A few weeks later it was obvious the one i thought was a roo was a pullet, and the other the all ended up being roosters!

Back
Top Bottom