Partridge genetics

SonRise Silkies

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I know this question has probably been asked many times, but I can't seem to find the answer so going to ask again.
I have hens in Blue, Black, Splash and recently got a Partridge hen and rooster, am I correct in thinking I can't use this rooster on anything except the Black hen and the Partridge?
Or maybe not even the Black???
These are LF Cochins but I assume the genetics are the same for all birds.
I don't want to raise "muckledy duns"
but only want to stay with recognized colors.
I'm thinking my only option is to get a second roo with B/B/S gene????
Thanks for any help, have a blessed day.

I know this question has probably been asked many times, but I can't seem to find the answer so going to ask again.
I have hens in Blue, Black, Splash and recently got a Partridge hen and rooster, am I correct in thinking I can't use this rooster on anything except the Black hen and the Partridge?
Or maybe not even the Black???
These are LF Cochins but I assume the genetics are the same for all birds.
I don't want to raise "muckledy duns"
but only want to stay with recognized colors.
I'm thinking my only option is to get a second roo with B/B/S gene????
Thanks for any help, have a blessed day.

I am not disagreeing with Henk but adding additional ideas.

Genetics 101

The partridge secondary color pattern is expressed by 6 genes: 2 brown genes, 2 pattern genes and the gold gene ( two in males and 1 in females). The pattern gene expresses the pattern found on many of the partrideg female's feather's, the brown gene and pattern gene provide the stippling and black pigments to make the penciling on the feathers. The gold gene adds the red color to each feather. Most individuals do not realize that the pattern gene can also add black to a birds plumage and can be used as a melanizer ( gene that adds black).

When black birds are tested for their genotypes ( genes in the bird), they may carry the pattern gene. If your blues were developed from blacks that carry the previously mentioned genes; the blues would also carry the genes. If your blues show some lacing or some type of heavy black edging; they carry the pattern gene.

Your blue or black cochin could carry the brown gene but most likely carry a gene called extended black. They should carry a gene called melanotic; melanotic is a melanizer. They most likely carry the silver gene instead of the gold gene. The silver gene adds white to certain areas of the chicken. In black or blue chickens, the silver gene is inhibited and a black pigment is added to the birds feathers.

When you cross a blue male with the partridge hen, the resultant blue offspring could show lacing if the blue carry the pattern gene and melanotic. You know the blue male carries melanotic if he has a dark blue or black pyle zone. Depending on the genes inherited, you could also get what I call "false spangling". A black tip develops on the end of some of the blue feathers.

If the crossing produces a bird that is blue, carries melanotic, and only the brown gene ( not the extended black gene); the under color will be white not a gray/charcoal color.

I have always wanted to do some test crossing to see how blue and lacing look on a bird that carried only the brown gene.

There are other possibilities but I do not want to complicate the scenario any more than I HAVE.

Tim

Last edited:
Wow, Thanks so much for all the information, I am still confused of course but maybe not so scared to try a cross.
The birds are for my own pleasure and to me ALL Cochins are gorgeous. In fact I might like some "weird" colors. Of course I am not trying to sell eggs or chicks. If I did let cross them and were to let go of any I would be sure the new owners were aware of the parents colors.
I appreciate the help and will consider all that was said.
Thank you both very much.
Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom