Partridge or golden laced Cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MikeS(erama), Apr 20, 2011.

1. MikeS(erama)

MikeS(erama) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Massachussetts
    Picked up some chicks today, and with them I got a Cochin. I'm having trouble determining if it's a partridge or a gold laced. I'm leaning more towards partridge, but i'll Probably have to wait until it starts feathering. Just curious what you guys think?
    [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I would lean much farther toward gold laced. Partridge would have chipmunk type stripes and eyeliner, like a Welsummer. [​IMG]

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have a brahma I got at tsc that I can't figure out either, and he/she's 4 weeks old now! I am pretty sure it's a silver laced! Yours looks more like the golden laced. I did a lot of image searching when I was trying to figure out mine. I didn't find any pics of chicks that looked like mine, but its wings are coming in white and dark gray, so I'm assuming silver laced. [​IMG] Mine is probably a boy b/c it still has barely any feathers!

4. MikeS(erama)

MikeS(erama) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Massachussetts
    Quote:Ahhh good call lol thank you!

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:It would be exceedingly rare for a hatchery to be selling silver laced Brahmas since that is a color that is still very much in the early development stages. Most hatcheries sell buff, light, or dark Brahmas. If your chick's down is very dark, then you probalby have a dark Brahma. If it was yellow to medium gray, then it is probably a light Brahma.

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Nope, none of the above. It is a pale gray chipmunk type, like it has the chipmunk colors and stripes, but they're very washed out. It's light gray and tan instead of black and dark brown. I'll have to post pics sometime. It really has me stumped. I just looked up silver laced cochin, and that isn't it either. Its wing feathers are coming in black with white sides and tips, not the other way around.

7. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Oh, btw, I typed brahma, but I meant cochin in my first post. I don't know where brahma came from. lol

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    ROFL. That's where the confusion was... [​IMG] Rather than taking away from the OPs post, can you start a new thread with pics of your chick?

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I bought a silver-gray chipmunk chick from my feed store too, just to see what it was...it's a silver-laced cochin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by