Partridge Rock that I'm showing this weekend, Is she worth taking?

OK, I'm posting the link to this thread, it started out with the OP asking much the same question you did, and getting quite a few negative answers about their entry, and some encouragement, and this is how it turned out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260413

they had fun, learned a lot, the bird did well, WAY better than they thought it would, and came home exausted and thrilled, after meeting new people, learning a ton and being happy they went.

Go, have fun, talk to other breeders, judges, and chicken peeps. !!!!!! Go Go GO!!!! The only way to find out is to try!

Quote:
Neil no offense but I hope you understand that is a drawing of a SQ partridge rock and doesn't represent what Murry Mcmurry hatchery has at all!

Quote:
Thanks, she has the partridge patterning, but she ran too fast for me to get an upclose shot of her feathers. If I have the time to wash her/get her ready, she will be going to the show just for fun.
smile.png
So far I've pulled my big black cochin roo out of the show because he decided to molt on me.
roll.png

Quote:
Neil no offense but I hope you understand that is a drawing of a SQ partridge rock and doesn't represent what Murry Mcmurry hatchery has at all!

I think that was the point of Neil's post. McMurray as well as other hatcheries show photos of beautiful birds and then deliver, please OP forgive me, less than stellar birds. In all honesty, I do love the personalities of production birds, but when I'm looking for birds to show, personality can come second as long as the male is not ripping me apart when I'm handling/ walking around.

OP, go to the show and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the adrenaline rush you get when the judge is looking at your bird. In a 4H, FFA and even county fairs, judges are not APA and only choose birds based on condition instead of type. It's a sad thing, but in many cases it's true. Just go and enjoy yourself, that's the big thing.

Quote:

I think that was the point of Neil's post. McMurray as well as other hatcheries show photos of beautiful birds and then deliver, please OP forgive me, less than stellar birds. In all honesty, I do love the personalities of production birds, but when I'm looking for birds to show, personality can come second as long as the male is not ripping me apart when I'm handling/ walking around.

OP, go to the show and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the adrenaline rush you get when the judge is looking at your bird. In a 4H, FFA and even county fairs, judges are not APA and only choose birds based on condition instead of type. It's a sad thing, but in many cases it's true. Just go and enjoy yourself, that's the big thing.

I got her from a BYC member almost a year ago, so I didn't know if she was production quality or not. Thanks everyone for the critiquing (sp?) of my bird. I know that hatcheries sell stock that do not match the SOP, which is why I buy my stock from reputable breeders. This PR girl is part of our laying flock and will be as long as she behaves
big_smile.png
Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
I thought the standard said eyes should be "reddish bay", not red. Bay in horses is a medium brown color. So all SQ rocks should have red eyes? Just trying to understand. It also says a yellow beak, but I have seen winning birds in pictures (especially bantams) that have black at the top of the beak. I would love to see a picture of a good bird with red eyes.

Cindy in PA:
thought the standard said eyes should be "reddish bay", not red. Bay in horses is a medium brown color. So all SQ rocks should have red eyes? Just trying to understand. It also says a yellow beak, but I have seen winning birds in pictures (especially bantams) that have black at the top of the beak. I would love to see a picture of a good bird with red eyes.

The standard calls for 'Reddish-Bay' yes but in young birds ( pre laying age ) they can be red. Bay color as defined by the American Standard of Perfection: "(1) A light golden-brown. (2) Also used to designate an intermingling of red and yellow in the iris caused by surface capillaries in the eyes of some varieties of poultry."

So that would make Reddish-Bay eyes more red than light golden-brown...

The Standard calls for the Partridge Rock to have a beak color of Dark Horn, shading to Yellow at the point.

Chris​

Quote:

So why is it in their catalog right next to the offer to sell???????????

Do you remember "the think method" from The Music Man?

Quote:
The standard calls for 'Reddish-Bay' yes but in young birds ( pre laying age ) they can be red. Bay color as defined by the American Standard of Perfection: "(1) A light golden-brown. (2) Also used to designate an intermingling of red and yellow in the iris caused by surface capillaries in the eyes of some varieties of poultry."

The Standard calls for the Partridge Rock to have a beak color of Dark Horn, shading to Yellow at the point.

Chris

Thanks Chris. So beak colors differ among the rock colors? I have to read the SOP in it's entirity, but it is cumbersome on the computer in PDF! What does it say for Silver penciled rocks?? So eyes would be a light golden brown in the end or red??? Sorry, I am just dense I guess. Will have to buy the book. I am much better with paper!

Quote:

Chris

Thanks Chris. So beak colors differ among the rock colors? I have to read the SOP in it's entirity, but it is cumbersome on the computer in PDF! What does it say for Silver penciled rocks?? So eyes would be a light golden brown in the end or red??? Sorry, I am just dense I guess. Will have to buy the book. I am much better with paper!

Silver Penciled Rock:
Beak is to be Dusty Yellow, shading to Yellow at point.
Eyes are to be Reddish-Bay

Now the way I interpret the Reddish-Bay eye color is that it is more a red color than a golden-brown (Bay) color. The closest color I can think of that I can compare it to is a Dark Mahogany color..
Interpretation of the Standard of Perfection can be different for each person that reads it.. Lets take the "Correct" color of the Rhode Island Red for instance.
The Standard calls for the RIR to be a Rich, Dark Red. Some people read that as a almost black/red color and others read that as a Mahogany color. I for one read it a Dark Mahogany color.
I hope this helps, and I wouldnt call it dense I would call it the willing to learn..

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom