Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Quote:
WOW the lacing on that female is wonderful! And she has very nice type. Looks to have a nice tail spread, do you have a photo of her from behind? Was that 3 photos of the same girl? Great job! The guys are quite nice as well.

I think there are 2 girls in those pics.. I have 3 total, and the 2 boys. All 3 girls are very similar.. great size too.. Just letting the boys grow out now before I decide who will get to enjoy the breeding pen in February
smile.png
Will try to get a fluffy butt shot.

Great pics all. I need a new camera to get pics of lacing. Sun reflection on feather or from flash just makes it impossible.

Since we got hit by the bear I have lost 4 more chickens. So I am down to 10 now and one of those is living outside of the coop. I am trying to figure how to catch her. Doing it when she roosts is not an option since she is roosting in heavy growth and there is no light out there. Other than that she is doing good. I am getting on egg a day from one of the older gals. I am hoping the newer ones will be laying soon. The one outside is all red but I have yet to see her lay. We really need some goats here to eat these brambles down. Would make chickens hunting easier.

I have a couple questions for you guys, whomever has an opinion here. I'd like to breed some Partridge Rocks, and I'm wondering where to get the breeder stock. Does anyone know of any breeders up here in lonely old Idaho? If so I'd love to look at your birds! Otherwise, I'd like to know which hatchery you've had the best experience with getting this breed. I'm looking at Meyer Hatchery, but would like another opinion or two. or three
smile.png
Thanks to anyone who can help!

I got my original pr hens from privett hatchery. I havn't gotten from any others, but my privett experience was good
smile.png
. As far as breeder in Idaho I have no idea maybe someone else knows someone whom knows someone that heard of a guy that lives next door to his aunt that has a cousin that lives somewhere near Idaho that raises pr's. (that has to be a run-on!
lau.gif
)
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
. But i think you might have trouble finding them out there.
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
. Good luck anyway
frow.gif

Quote:
I'm going to say Meyer is "meh" at best. Very pretty girls and I'm sure they'll lay wonderfully, but they're definitely not breeder quality. If you look at DFCottage's birds you'll see that their penciling comes to a nice point and is consistent over the entire body. I'd be stretching to say either of my Meyer PRs have even barring even over their breasts - the quality is just not there.

They have wonderful rocks personalities, which has been my experience with my Meyer BRs as well. I can't speak to the personality trends of other hatcheries or their quality, but I would recommend against Meyer if you are looking to breed to standard.

ETA: Dick Horstman (username dickhorstman) replied to a thread I posted in "Wanted to Buy" saying he has day-old chicks and ships throughout the year. He has top of the line birds; he won best partridge rock at the Crossroads show in Indianapolis. You can't do much better, I just don't have the resources or space for 10 more chicks right now
sad.png

The flash washed out some of the detail here, but you can see what I mean about the evenness of the penciling, especially when compared to DFCottage's birds. Hers have clean, crisply outlined penciling on ALL feathers whereas some of the feathers on mine, particularly in the wings and tail area, look barred.

Meyer hatchery PR pullet at 17 weeks:
102179_img_2743.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom