Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Does anyone have any idea when partridge rocks are likely to go broody? My first flock of chickens had to be killed at 4 months old because they had samonella so I got a few partridge rock pullets to use as broodies to raise a few more chicks for us. The partridge rocks were hatched in June and its already pretty warm here in California. Any idea when they could go broody? I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch (or even go broody).....

Does anyone have any idea when partridge rocks are likely to go broody? My first flock of chickens had to be killed at 4 months old because they had samonella so I got a few partridge rock pullets to use as broodies to raise a few more chicks for us. The partridge rocks were hatched in June and its already pretty warm here in California. Any idea when they could go broody? I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch (or even go broody).....
Hello Neighbor!

It depends on where you got them. If from a Hatchery, they may not go Broody.

The normal pattern for Broodiness is to lay a bunch of eggs and the go broody at the end of the laying season, so late summer to Fall. You can try to trick them into going broody by putting a bunch(6 or so) fake eggs like golf balls into the nest.

Come say hi on the California Northern Thread! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/25/california-northern/15530#post_10519336

I'll try adding more eggs to the nest. I'm dying to have more hens but I'm NOT going to raise them in the bathtub again!
smile.png
yuckyuck.gif
OK, that one got me! I'm still finding pockets of chick dust and I've emptied my laundry roo twice since my last brood.

I got the wierd shipment of hatchery partridge rocks in that they will brood. They haven't start yet this year but I know it's coming. They didn't the first year, but the next I couldn't keep them out of the nest boxes.

:yuckyuck   OK, that one got me!  I'm still finding pockets of chick dust and I've emptied my laundry roo twice since my last brood.

I got the wierd shipment of hatchery partridge rocks in that they will brood.  They haven't start yet this year but I know it's coming.  They didn't the first year, but the next I couldn't keep them out of the nest boxes.
My partridge rocks are from hatchery stock but I'm still hopeful they will brood. Their nests have a bunch of (wooden) eggs in each of them now. I'm crossing my fingers!

I really just stumbled across this breed and have really been captured by their beauty. I asked for some Partridge Cochin eggs from a breeder and they sent me these eggs instead. I was so disappointed when they hatch and there weren't the cochins I was expecting. I thought I'd just raise them up and sell them as soon as I could but once I saw how awesome those roosters look when they grew up I am now selling off other birds to make sure I keep room for my Partridge Rocks.

Here is my hen she is hilarious to watch while she is scratching around or playing with the other hens. She is very nice and if you are gentle with her she will let you pick her up. She is a great egg layer but acts like she wants to set because she will spend a couple hours at least up at the coop. Should I let her brood my six day old chicks,do nothing with her,or let her set? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Here is my hen she is hilarious to watch while she is scratching around or playing with the other hens. She is very nice and if you are gentle with her she will let you pick her up. She is a great egg layer but acts like she wants to set because she will spend a couple hours at least up at the coop. Should I let her brood my six day old chicks,do nothing with her,or let her set? HELP PLEASE!!!!!
What a sweety!

I would give brooding a try. Both the hen and the chicks have to accept her and at 6 days that will be iffy. Watch to make sure she does not attack them or that they will not go under her.

Back
Top Bottom