Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Can anyone tell me at how many weeks the different feathering becomes clearly evident? Tried scrolling through the thread pix but didn't see any really young birds for comparison.

If you are working on gender, the combs and wattles will be a good indication. Also, many cockerels will crow before 16 weeks of age.

If you are working on gender, the combs and wattles will be a good indication. Also, many cockerels will crow before 16 weeks of age.
I was hoping for the easy way out - thought the feathering would indicate before the combs and wattles and I could save myself four weeks of second-guessing!
hmm.png
No easy way with those crafty cluckers!

I was hoping for the easy way out - thought the feathering would indicate before the combs and wattles and I could save myself four weeks of second-guessing!
hmm.png
No easy way with those crafty cluckers!

Combs and wattles will be redder and larger by six weeks of do. Pullets should not have wattles until much older.

Can you post pictures that show the side of the head, close enough to see the comb and wattles. We love to play guess the gender.

Question was for nxt spring chicks. Love the beauty of the Partridge Rock and thought an added bonus would I could get some straight runs and more easily tell roos from the pullets. I think I will stick to a pullet order to hedge my bets.
wink.png

Keep us posted if she is a she or if it's a he. My vote is pullet. If people said roo on you, I'm worried about mine, although she seems very hen-ish to me and the saddle feathers are rounded. Here's a picture of the so-called PR and the real Partridge Rock I got. They're the same size and the real PR is 3 weeks younger. I'm looking forward to having this Partridge in my flock and the "honorary" one too. :)

Aaaaand the crow has confirmed it. Over the last week or 2, the "girl" on the right turned into full blow cockerel. The chest is black, the shiny hackle feathers came out and the pretty iridescent black saddle/sickle feathers have popped out from under all the other feathers on the tail. I contacted the person where I bought it and it turns out, this Partridge Rock comes from show lines (Horstman?) and it explains why it's taken so long for him to properly feather out. He's turning into a beauty except for the fact that I don't want a chicken that won't give me an egg. In hindsight, it was clear. I should have known but I wanted a girl so bad, I told myself that it was mixed with leghorn and that's why it had a bigger comb that the other.
he.gif

So Metella, if you read this, I change my vote from pullet to roo on yours as well.
sad.png

Aaaaand the crow has confirmed it. Over the last week or 2, the "girl" on the right turned into full blow cockerel. The chest is black, the shiny hackle feathers came out and the pretty iridescent black saddle/sickle feathers have popped out from under all the other feathers on the tail. I contacted the person where I bought it and it turns out, this Partridge Rock comes from show lines (Horstman?) and it explains why it's taken so long for him to properly feather out. He's turning into a beauty except for the fact that I don't want a chicken that won't give me an egg. In hindsight, it was clear. I should have known but I wanted a girl so bad, I told myself that it was mixed with leghorn and that's why it had a bigger comb that the other.
he.gif

So Metella, if you read this, I change my vote from pullet to roo on yours as well.
sad.png

He is a nice looking boy!

Go by the comb when they are young.

:( They really look like twins .....

I'll be listening now - I also have too many roos this year - and will have to cull - so I was like you - sooooo wanting my first PR pullet to be a pullet, even if a mixed one.

Ah - bum-a-licious.

I have no PR hens, so no need for a nice breeding roo ..... looks like I'll have lots of Thanksgiving Chicken.

:( They really look like twins .....

I'll be listening now - I also have too many roos this year - and will have to cull - so I was like you - sooooo wanting my first PR pullet to be a pullet, even if a mixed one.

Ah - bum-a-licious.

I have no PR hens, so no need for a nice breeding roo ..... looks like I'll have lots of Thanksgiving Chicken.

I am in the same place. One of the Horsman PR eggs hatched and it was a Cockerel. Mine went to auction. I will try again next year.

he.gif

sad.png

Wow, a show quality rooster. You could hatch out some eggs and raise more PRs!

Does anyone need a beautiful, free TS Partridge Rock rooster? We have two and don't need to keep both. He has nice yellow legs. PM me if anyone is interested. I'm in southwest VA. I can post a picture of him if you are interested. Please Let me know soon. We have four roosters now and only want to keep two.

Here's one of the pullets we got from TS. She looked very scruffy in the last picture I posted here.

Back
Top Bottom