Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Those chicks look relly good. Mine look almost the same but their legs aren't as bright of a yellow as those are. If anyone can give me some advice on what the colour for a partridge rock rooster and hen should be that would be great. I have heard that they should be really lightly coloured and i have heard that they should be really dark, almost black, in colouration. Any tips?

Here is our Partridge Rock, we bought her with a tractor coop and another White Rock hen. We were told she was a RIR, but I have since been corrected by my fellow BYC'ers. I think she's very pretty and she loves to be told as much!

Here are a few recent pics, but her comb is actually a bit bigger and redder now.
IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8910.jpg

Here's a picture when I first brought her home, she's much happier and healthier since then, but this is a good full body pic.
IMG_8858.jpg

Color for them is to be dark. Rooster is too have a dark red head and neck going into a black back and chest and tail. Saddle feather dark red like neck. The black can have the bettle green sheen but No white anywhere. Slate is the under color. Hens are too be med to dark brown with penciling. Necks on them are more reddish brown but not yellow. The picutres your see mostly are one from overseas they do the lighter color than what the breed club dictates here in the USA. Legs to be yellow and eye reddish brown.

For those truely interested in breeding this color variation I suggest joining the Plymouth Rock Club. You can then get access to their website in members section that has an old Breed Standard book. It is invaluable to a breeder as it has pictures of all the feathers and what they should look like. As well as good breeding advise on how to pair up good mates. It is a free download from the member site. It covers all the color variations in great detail.

This is what i am afraid of right now. I have eggs in incubator for others and everyone wants pullets. I do not mind gettting roos for i can turn them into dog food but I do not want all to be roos when I have orders waiting.

Well my extras will be sold or be raised up and put in the freezer for us to eat. I don't like butchering chickens, but I will before I give them away. I have had good luck selling roos,...I just sold 5 or 6 EE roos a couple weeks back,...So maybe I can move these. I believe they will move better when they have their big boy feathers out,..they are such good looking roosters. I have marked three to choose from,..which one to keep,..or maybe two to keep. I hate the thoughts of having so many, then something happen to the one and only rooster and no way to replace him. I think it would be smart to keep two at least. This breed isn't as easy as some to replace.

As you know I have had the worst luck with roosters. My first ones I lost my spare then the main had a bad leg. The second batch I had 4 lost two. Those two are what I had now Alpha and Beta. So know I am down to beta since Alhpa was taken. I think this time it will be 6 I keep. Since I am increasing flock again too I will need them. Ofcourse now with incubator I am not so desprate to keep a rooster all the time. But it is great to have breeding options.

I am thinking of adding some Partridge Rocks to my flock. Any suggestions? Right now I have a few orpingtons, brahmas and wyandottes.

I've enjoyed seeing the photos of everyone's PRs. I have a question, though. There are photos of the PR chicks when their feathering is like a black & brown barring, and then photos of them as adults. I was beginning to think I didn't have a Partridge Rock, as she didn't look like any of the adult hens. But, now I see other PR chicks that look just like her.

So, when do they start getting their "adult" feathers?

Here's a photo of my "Ginger" - at about 7 wks old:

21035_img_9533.jpg

Back
Top Bottom