Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
From what I am seeing that is going to be one beautiful PR rooster:woot. I would recomend finding him a lady friend when he gets older. The atittude your describing is soo standard with the partridge. My chicks would let me pick them up and hold them, they would eat out of my hand, and when they werre chicks they would fall asleep on my hands. They were so precious!!! Now that their older they dont like beeing held, but they are still very friendly.
smile.png

Thanks you- I am so glad to hear that! I am going to have to find him some lady friends indeed! And, yes, he is a very pretty little thing
lol.png
But my PR roo is not near the forager or as inquisitive as my Dominiques are. He learns almost everything from his BFF Dominique rooster friend. They are attached at the hip!

I have also found that my partridge are very social. They love beeing around other chickens. I have a good friend that has a PR rooster and a BR hen that fell in love when they were little( B.J. and Dimples). They have been inseperable for five years now and have had many little chicks together. I have much the same thing happen with mine. One of my Golden laced Wyandotte roos became good friends with one of my PR roos. Everytime I would let them out they would go exploring together. Unfortunately I had to seperate them for mating reasons( The PR was my best rooster and had to be mated with some hens for show) but they still enjoy going around together eating bugs and grass. They get into all kinds of trouble together. So much fun to watch. Their names are Barney and T.J.

Awww, that is so sweet to hear!! Sounds just like my PR roo and my Dom roo. I am thinking about naming them, "Coriander" and "Clove." Whenever I pick up the Dom rooster and take him somewhere, the PR starts crying for him and runs after me, following us wherever we go. For the longest time we thought the PR roo was a pullet because of his sweet demeanor. He's just a little sweetheart- my favorite already!

I just wanted to share a few photos of my PR cockeral. He was sold to me as a day old sexed pullet (hatchery bird).. you know how it goes!

I really didn't want a roo but now that I have him I adore him. Isn't that the way of things?
gig.gif

I just wanted to share how mammoth his comb is at only 9 weeks old! No mistaking him.
gullin%20closeup%20day59.jpg

He is already starting to get a lot of 'bling'. Most of his feathers are now showing lovely iridescence. Hard to photograph though!
gullin%20strut%20d61.jpg

Ooh, all these boys are so handsome! Can't wait til mine gets his man-feathers! 6 pullets, one roo. I too have hatchery sexed birds.
wink.png
Hey- one roo out of 16 isn't too bad, I guess! 12 weeks old.

The General chatting up the ladies.
TheGeneral7-13-11.jpg

3 of my girls.
3PRsonswing7-13-11-1.jpg

Love this pose.
PR7-13-11.jpg

Last edited:
OK I've got a question for Rock raisers. I posted this in the Wellie thread and most say these are crossbred or at least not to satndard. But I wanted to check with PR folks just to be sure.

Hey All,

I've got a "Quail Faced" chick Question.

These are 6 of 50 I got from Sand Hill. I messed up big time by ordering 20 Welsummers, 20 Partridge Rock and 10 Partridge Barnevelders.
barnie.gif

The chicks looked very similar but I think the Wellies were easiest to tell from the others. However these looked like Wellies but could have been Barnies or Rocks.

Let me know what you think. If they're Wellies they wouldn't be to APA Standard right?

1 2
76965_img_2602.jpg
76965_img_2604.jpg

3 4
76965_img_2606.jpg
76965_img_2608.jpg

5 6
76965_img_2609.jpg
76965_img_2611.jpg

Number two may be OK for a Wellie? I banded them all and they are 10 weeks old. I will get photos of them posted today or tomorrow.

(I just noticed the numbering may not line up on smaller monitors)

Love all the pics of the PR's!!

I have 3 big beautiful girls, that are now 22 weeks, in your experiences at what week should they begin to lay, all have huge combs and wattles and are nice and red, some look into the nesting boxes and pick through the bedding but no squating yet??

Here is one of my birds Scarlett
love.gif

58941_19_week_scarlett.jpg

My partridge didn't start laying until they were atleast 30 weeks old, maybe 25, but the partridge arer not as prolific layers as their barred cousins. But when they did start laying the eggs were of a nice size. Love and best chickens, Tyler.

Back
Top Bottom