Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Those look like partridge to me. If the mom is E/eb (basically a Blue carrying partridge) and the dad is a recessive white, you COULD get partridges from the two. And I believe the frizzle/sizzle gene is recessive, so you'd need both mom and dad to carry it to display on the chicks. Although, someone else may know more than me on that one...

Oh you sound like you know what you are talking about. I had a bit of a read of the genetics for colouring and it went right over my head! If you have rind the time and are so inclined I'd love a breeding genetics/colours for dummies version
1f60a.png

Oh you sound like you know what you are talking about. I had a bit of a read of the genetics for colouring and it went right over my head! If you have rind the time and are so inclined I'd love a breeding genetics/colours for dummies version
1f60a.png
The frizzle gene (curly feathers) is dominant however most frizzle chickens only have one copy of the gene because two copies tends to lead to brittle feathers and other health problems therefore it is advised to only breed a frizzle with smooth feathered or silkie feathered bird. Silkie feathers are recesive. Sizzles are silkies that come in smooth and curly (frizzled) sizzles therefore they should not have silkied feathers but early generations definitely carry that gene and more recent generations could carry the genes as well

What is the best colour too to put over a partridge female? All my hens are partridge but as for roosters I have white and grey but have been offered a roo of any colour from a breeder tonight so this is me doing my homework... What colour roo is more desirable to breed with my partridge girls and what are the possible outcomes?

What is the best colour too to put over a partridge female? All my hens are partridge but as for roosters I have white and grey but have been offered a roo of any colour from a breeder tonight so this is me doing my homework... What colour roo is more desirable to breed with my partridge girls and what are the possible outcomes?
If you breed it to blue, black, or splash, you will end up with all blue or black chicks, carrying partridge. Pretty sure white in silkies is dominant too, so you'd get white chicks from that. I *think* gray might be eb based (like partridge), so that might be your best bet, but I could be wrong. You could also breed it to a lavender and start a porcelain project. The procelains are like a pastel version of partridge, very beautiful.
Basically, if you have a choice of any color, you should pick whatever color you want the offspring to have, knowing full-well that they are then color "mutts" and shouldn't be sold to people looking to breed. If you want to sell the chicks, buy a partridge rooster and sell partridge chicks... Just depends on what your goals are!

Is this athe comb of a sillie rooster or was I sold a mix?
From what I can tell of the photo I wouldn't venture he's a mix but he appears to be of the non-bearded variety. I love his beautiful feathering. Is he a sweet boy? I loved our boy - he was so inquisitive and outgoing and confident but he was so noisy crowing we sadly re-homed him.

some of my babies from this year and my lovely roo Odin that is the proud daddy.

That last picture has a girl (perhaps?) that looks like the hen I was told was partridge!!!! That was april of this year. :) I thought she was possibyl crossed with a buff. She has the pencilling though... Does this mean she is partridge?
Her now:

Her as a chick:

I havent seen other hens like her yet. I loooove her though. Her name is Honey. :) I mught ask if you were in Georgia as I am, lol. Live your chickies.

Back
Top Bottom