pasture pens.

shure, ill post mine as well as pics once i start.

I've settled on a modified salitin pen. the tin roof portion on mine going to be sloped about a foot.

im going for 8x10 for 50 birds (although i only have about 30 now)

Quote:
Salatin does 10 X 12 for 90 birds, that is 120SQFT/90 or 1.3 sqft/bird. So you could pump that up to 60 in your current setup, that is what I run in an 8 X 10.

Ya i put together a spreadsheet of all the various sizes ive run across in my search as well as how many birds they kept in that size. by far most of the ratios were 1.2-1.33 sqft per bird. high end was 1.5

I relize i could run more, if i do more batches (which im fairly shure ill do) my thinking is to do batches of 50. but that size allows me to bump that if i want to.

tractor.jpg

I used a 8x16 last year for 100 cornish crosses. It was made of 2x2s, chicken wire, and tin.
It worked, but was heavy to move and fell apart by the end of the summer.

This season I'm having new pens made. These are 8x8 and made of EMT conduit. Its
galvanized and welded together. Still using chicken wire for the sides, but switching to
a tarp for the roof.

17846_dscf0805.jpg

This is a pic today when I visited the welding shop. Its ready to come home tommorow.
I'll post a pic when I get the top on and load it up with something meatie. Ducks for now,
then freedom rangers in two months.

Last edited:
Wow, I hope you have a buddy that's a welder! I can't imagine what that would cost to have built. Looks like it will be a great tractor- I never thought about EMT tube... maybe for the next one!

Back
Top Bottom