Pasture Raised Broad Breasted WHITE Turkeys

Those methods are forbidden in animals.
Although many people claim that hybrids like the white meat birds, the white leghorns and the sex links are GMO.
I don't believe it.
In the U.S. genetically modified chickens are not legal for meat production. The FDA recently approved a genetically modified chicken to be able to produce a certain drug from its egg whites. The FDA had previously approved genetically modified goats for the production of a drug in their milk.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/9/9879678/gmo-chicken-transgenic-fda-approved-kanuma-drug-eggs

While genetic modification is not legal for meat production, genetic modification research on animals is not prohibited.

In the U.S. genetically modified chickens are not legal for meat production. The FDA recently approved a genetically modified chicken to be able to produce a certain drug from its egg whites. The FDA had previously approved genetically modified goats for the production of a drug in their milk.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/9/9879678/gmo-chicken-transgenic-fda-approved-kanuma-drug-eggs

While genetic modification is not legal for meat production, genetic modification research on animals is not prohibited.
I agree with you. Also, bear in mind that purebred chickens like the cornish, the orpington and the jersey giant are excellent meat birds, much more balanced than the white meat birds. Their final weight is huge!!! I had a black jersey giant hen with an average egg weight of 70+ g and she had double the size of my black australorp.

HeeeeeeeeeeeeeLP, again, guys.

I found starter and grower.
There is no need to use layer, I will just add some marble dust/powder and oyster shell to the grower for the laying season.

But, but, but, but, but...

The problem is that...

both the starter and the grower contain 1ppm per kilo of diclazuril, which is a coccidiostat. I was told that it can't be subtracted.

HeeeeeeeeeeeeeLP, again, guys.

I found starter and grower.
There is no need to use layer, I will just add some marble dust/powder and oyster shell to the grower for the laying season.

But, but, but, but, but...

The problem is that...

both the starter and the grower contain 1ppm per kilo of diclazuril, which is a coccidiostat. I was told that it can't be subtracted.
Do not add the oyster shell to the grower. Offer oyster shell free choice on the side.

As far as the coccidiostat, it should not hurt them but it is not necessary. Here in the U.S. it is difficult to find turkey feed that does have a coccidiostat and what is found is is amprolium.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2748496

"In these pilot studies, involving 1,020 Hisex and 1,000 Hubbard broiler chickens, it has been demonstrated that diclazuril at the dose level of 1 ppm in the diet is an excellent anticoccidial without any adverse effects."

In order to avoid it, you will need to use some other type of feed. Once they turkeys between 3 to 4 months old you should be able to safely switch them to any good quality feed. Here in the U.S. such a feed would be an all flock feed which normally is 18% to 20% protein with slightly higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than is normally found in a layer feed.

Do not add the oyster shell to the grower. Offer oyster shell free choice on the side.

As far as the coccidiostat, it should not hurt them but it is not necessary. Here in the U.S. it is difficult to find turkey feed that does have a coccidiostat and what is found is is amprolium.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2748496

"In these pilot studies, involving 1,020 Hisex and 1,000 Hubbard broiler chickens, it has been demonstrated that diclazuril at the dose level of 1 ppm in the diet is an excellent anticoccidial without any adverse effects."

In order to avoid it, you will need to use some other type of feed. Once they turkeys between 3 to 4 months old you should be able to safely switch them to any good quality feed. Here in the U.S. such a feed would be an all flock feed which normally is 18% to 20% protein with slightly higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than is normally found in a layer feed.
So in the States, you feed your turkeys amprolium and you eat turkeys fed with amprolium?

So in the States, you feed your turkeys amprolium and you eat turkeys fed with amprolium?
No, in the U.S. it is hard to find any turkey feed with any kind of medication in it so most, like me, do not use any medicated feed for our turkeys at any stage.

The other thing is that the feeds that do have it are starter and grower. This is for birds that are under 3 months old. After 3 months, the birds are switched to other feeds that do not have any medication. If they were fed medication at a young age, it is out of their bodies long before they reach processing size.

No, in the U.S. it is hard to find any turkey feed with any kind of medication in it so most, like me, do not use any medicated feed for our turkeys at any stage.

The other thing is that the feeds that do have it are starter and grower. This is for birds that are under 3 months old. After 3 months, the birds are switched to other feeds that do not have any medication. If they were fed medication at a young age, it is out of their bodies long before they reach processing size.
Oh you mean that you use finisher turkey feed before slaughtering and not grower?

Oh you mean that you use finisher turkey feed before slaughtering and not grower?
I used finisher when I was raising BBWs but now I just use free range and layer feed. The free range provides them with lots of Russian Olives in the fall to help them fatten up. I had one Blue Slate tom that wore out his welcome with the hens and ended up on only free range during his last winter. Because of the vast supply of Russian Olives he not only survived the winter but got fat while doing so. When processed in the spring he had a subcutaneous layer of fat that was 1/4" thick. The person who got to eat eat him said that he was wonderful. The tom was 4 years old at the time.

Back
Top Bottom