Pasture Raised Broad Breasted WHITE Turkeys

Will developer for chickens be OK for turkey poults 50 days old?
It won't kill them but it will not sustain proper growth because it does not contain the proper amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin. The leg issues can be combatted by putting a good vitamin B complex in their water. One half of a tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water will provide the proper amount of B vitamins as long as it is the only source of water and has nothing else added to the water. Unfortunately this will not solve the insufficient lysine and methionine issues.

You can Google for sources of lysine. BOss (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) is a good source of methionine but is also unfortunately a high fat, low protein food that can cause health issues if fed in large quantities.

It won't kill them but it will not sustain proper growth because it does not contain the proper amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin. The leg issues can be combatted by putting a good vitamin B complex in their water. One half of a tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water will provide the proper amount of B vitamins as long as it is the only source of water and has nothing else added to the water. Unfortunately this will not solve the insufficient lysine and methionine issues.

You can Google for sources of lysine. BOss (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) is a good source of methionine but is also unfortunately a high fat, low protein food that can cause health issues if fed in large quantities.
DO YOU BREED LEGBARS THAT ARE ROSE-COMBED?
I DID NOT KNOW THEY EXIST.

I WAS JUST INFORMED THAT THE GREEK BRONZE TURKEY BREED WE HAVE IN GREECE CAN BE RAISED ONLY WITH CHICKEN SCRATCH IN A MASH FORM. SO I WILL USE ONLY THIS BREED AND NOT THE BROAD BREASTED WHITE VARIETY.

Ι

I WAS TOLD THAT THE GREEK BRONZE BREED CAN BE RAISED ONLY WITH SCRATCH, BUT IN A MASH FORM WHEN THEY ARE BABIES. I WILL USE THIS TRADITIONAL SMALL SIZED BREED AND NOT THE BROAD BREASTED WHITE OR ANY OTHER BREED BECAUSE THEY NEED TOO MUCH BALANCE.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/greek-bronze.11871/

DO YOU BREED LEGBARS WITH A ROSE COMB? CAN I SEE PHOTOS?

DO YOU BREED LEGBARS THAT ARE ROSE-COMBED?
I DID NOT KNOW THEY EXIST.
There are many who have made Rose Comb Legbars. You simply start with a Cream Legbar rooster and breed him to Rose Comb Brown Leghorn hens. It requires a number of generations to breed out the white egg gene and to breed in the rose comb gene. You can find some photos scattered in this album.

Others have posted about their Rose Comb Legbars in the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread.

I WAS TOLD THAT THE GREEK BRONZE BREED CAN BE RAISED ONLY WITH SCRATCH, BUT IN A MASH FORM WHEN THEY ARE BABIES. I WILL USE THIS TRADITIONAL SMALL SIZED BREED AND NOT THE BROAD BREASTED WHITE OR ANY OTHER BREED BECAUSE THEY NEED TOO MUCH BALANCE.

The link you provided contains inaccuracies. The easiest inaccuracy to find is that there is only one breed of domestic turkeys and that breed is Turkey. There are many varieties of domestic turkeys.

The Greek Bronze variety is just a heritage Bronze. Just because someone doesn't care enough about their turkeys to feed them properly does not mean it is a good idea to follow their methods. That particular variety will do far better on a proper turkey diet than by feeding them something that does not contain the proper nutrients. Raise two separate lots side by side with one lot on the proper feed and one lot on the poor nutrition feed that you want to feed and see the difference for yourself.

You may think that you are saving money on the feed but the poor feed to meat conversion will eat up any savings that you think you are getting.

Ι

DO YOU BREED LEGBARS WITH A ROSE COMB? CAN I SEE PHOTOS?
I think you should raise meat chickens instead. It would save you a lot of problems and money in the long run. I don't think turkeys are right for you, especially if you are unwilling or unable to feed them species appropriate food.

The link you provided contains inaccuracies. The easiest inaccuracy to find is that there is only one breed of domestic turkeys and that breed is Turkey. There are many varieties of domestic turkeys.

The Greek Bronze variety is just a heritage Bronze. Just because someone doesn't care enough about their turkeys to feed them properly does not mean it is a good idea to follow their methods. That particular variety will do far better on a proper turkey diet than by feeding them something that does not contain the proper nutrients. Raise two separate lots side by side with one lot on the proper feed and one lot on the poor nutrition feed that you want to feed and see the difference for yourself.

You may think that you are saving money on the feed but the poor feed to meat conversion will eat up any savings that you think you are getting.
The Greek Bronze has the immune system of a junglefowl.
I know that it produces best if fed best, but it thrives in low density feed conditions for many years.
Greek Bronze is a combinations of many different strains found in many different areas of Greece.
The American Bronze can't thrive in such hard conditions.

The Greek Bronze has the immune system of a junglefowl.
I know that it produces best if fed best, but it thrives in low density feed conditions for many years.
Greek Bronze is a combinations of many different strains found in many different areas of Greece.
The American Bronze can't thrive in such hard conditions.
Ok..... well if you know better than everyone else here, then go ahead.

Makes me grateful to be in the USA where I have 8 well stocked feed stores withen a few minutes drive from my house.

I wonder if the chicken feed in Greece is more of what we would call "All Flock" and would explain why it's the only feed available.

Reminds me of a YouTube video where these old Italian mastiff breeders were bragging on the fact that they take such pride in feeding their dogs primarily on bread and pasta. Such a statement here would be shocking here in the US.

Thomas, sounds like a smaller less demanding turkey breed would be a much better fit for you than production whites you were looking at.

Also, it's hard to give you feeding advice since we here in the USA have no idea what's in the poulty feed in your country. Our advice was based on what's in our feed. In the USA our chicken scratch is mostly corn. Which would be a terrible stand alone feed for turkeys.

What is the level of protein in Greek chicken scratch?

Back
Top Bottom