Pasty behind/ lethargic hen ||HELP||

That's good that the water softened the mass. Keep that up. As long as you don't give more than around 100ml of water at a time, you won't overfill the crop. For flushing, stir one-teaspoon of magnesium sulfate into 100ml of warm water. Repeat again in around four hours.

If you decide to try another antibiotic, these are good for respiratory illness: erythromycin, tetracycline, or tylosin.
For how many days should I give her the salt solution?
I have to flush her for the 4th time now because her crop is not emptying.

You can do the flush twice a day for up to three days. But this can be dehydrating, so she should be offered water to drink to replace any she loses as the salts draw it out of her tissues. If she's confined, she should also be offered grit as grit is important for helping to grind up the solids in her digestive system.

The amount of water you use each time you administer the solution shouldn't matter greatly. Use as much as you feel she can handle, but no more than 100ml to avoid overfilling the crop.

You can do the flush twice a day for up to three days. But this can be dehydrating, so she should be offered water to drink to replace any she loses as the salts draw it out of her tissues. If she's confined, she should also be offered grit as grit is important for helping to grind up the solids in her digestive system.
I gave her yogurt blended with a few grapes and mangoes because I was afraid that offering her any more solids would be harmful for her. She is keen on eating the yogurt.
As they free range, I never truly provided them with commercial grit. Shall I put oyster shells and collect some smalls rocks from the garden to provide them to her?

Oyster shell is water soluble so it won't act as grit since it dissolves. Grit from your garden will work if it has sharp edges and not rounded ones and is no more than 3mm in diameter. You may need a magnifying lens to be sure of this. Use a strainer to extract the grit from a bit of dry soil.

Oyster shell is water soluble so it won't act as grit since it dissolves. Grit from your garden will work if it has sharp edges and not rounded ones and is no more than 3mm in diameter. You may need a magnifying lens to be sure of this. Use a strainer to extract the grit from a bit of dry soil.
I just checked her crop and it is half of what it was before!! She is less lethargic than before, but not that active as how she used to be. Her comb is still not standing straight. It is soft and not a healthy one.

I have placed grit and water in her cage.

Can impacted crop be related to some bigger underlying disease?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-215626_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-215626_Gallery.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 0
I just checked her crop and it is half of what it was before!! She is less lethargic than before, but not that active as how she used to be. Her comb is still not standing straight. It is soft and not a healthy one.

I have placed grit and water in her cage.

Can impacted crop be related to some bigger underlying disease?
In my admittedly limited experience, crop issues are often a symptom of other problems, like reproductive disorders, infections, etc. But they can and do get blocked sometimes.

In my admittedly limited experience, crop issues are often a symptom of other problems, like reproductive disorders, infections, etc. But they can and do get blocked sometimes.
Your knowledge is really vast.

Shall I give them a new antibiotic once her crop issue is resolved? Also, what do you say about the droopy comb?

Since hormones are responsible for the condition of the comb, something may be upsetting her hormonal balance. It doesn't necessarily mean there's disease involved. It can be attributed to poor nutrition, not getting all the vitamins and minerals she requires.

Since hormones are responsible for the condition of the comb, something may be upsetting her hormonal balance. It doesn't necessarily mean there's disease involved. It can be attributed to poor nutrition, not getting all the vitamins and minerals she requires.
Today is going to mark the 3rd day of me not giving her any food. I am worried if I give her their normal feed, her crop will clog up again.
Can I make a smoothie of fruits or give her soaked bread? She seems really hungry...
Or put some honey in her water to maintain the energy?

Back
Top Bottom