Pasty butt, How to get them to eat the yogart?

xSlingsho66

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Well I cleaned up the pasty butts, outa 16 chicks 5 had it, 1 was a little dirty but wasnt really a issue, cleaned him anyway. Its odd. the ones that have it are all the same "type" except 1 little bantam that had it too. Have 13 "assorted pullets" 4 yellow 4 redish tanish and 5 black with white/gray specs. and all the black ones had it. But anyway, back to what im trying to ask... How do i get them to eat the yogart so they dont get it anymore?!?! Ps This is the 2nd day ive had them from TSC so not positive how old they are. they seem to get around awfully well for 2 days old, but Ive never been around chicks so I dunno maybe they are 2 days old.

I had a tough time get my new chicks to eat yogurt their first time too. Just put it in a dish or lid & give them time to explore. One of them will get brave, the others will follow & then it will become one of their favorites. The first attempt, I threw half of it away after an hour because of all the shavings they got in it. the 2nd time, it didn't last 5 minutes! I don't know how young you can start feeding them yogurt (mine were probably 10 days old), but they'll catch on.

Alright ill just leave it in for a hour or so, then try agian later. Thanks
smile.png

You kidding? a chicks first day of looking at use. They hate us for removing them from that dark warm box. They wont trust you. they think everything you do is a conspericy. Just do as the other posteers said and set it in there pretty soon you will be cussing little slimy messy chickies and wishing you were only cleaning pasty butt instead of pink chicks.
Oh and did i mention after that they will love you forever and demand good things from you for the rest of there lives.......

one way to get them to start trying the yogurt -- add something to it that is more colorful

I just sprinkled some of their feed on it -- but you could sprinkle the tiniest bit of spice on it --
cinnamon? cayenne pepper? something brown or red or green -- colors they instinctively peck at

they generally don't go after blobs of white stuff, but give them something that triggers their peck habit,
and they go crazy to get it

nothing salty, of course

I had to take it out for a little while. Needed a break. Got tired of cleaning there feet every time they decided to run in it. lol will try again later.

Gently push their little beaks into it like you did to show them water.

If that doesn't work shove their entire *&^$% heads under until you hear a little "uncle".

i have never used yourgart....but i do hand crush in some dry (not cooked ) old fashion rolled oatmeal ,cereal. on day 3...i sprinkle on top of chick starter. after a few days i dont bother crushing it anymore i just mix it into bag of chick feed..i also starting on day 5 give them tiny bits of bread..within a few days when i drop into brooder boxs chicks are running chirping with bread in beaks chasing each other..best part of my day watching them ....i have only had pasty butts from ordered chicks and maybe one out of every 60 homehatch.never with broody hens hatches. i am not sure what cases it for sure, but have felt ones shipped dont get water first few hours /days in transit. i ususally make sure all chicks drink first few hours then i give feed.

Back
Top Bottom