Pasty butt in chicks. What to do

We just got done with pasty butt in our new chicks (shipped). You need to clean their butts twice a day until the butt stays clear otherwise they have a build up of faeces behind the 'plug'. I find the first time or two takes forever to soak the big hardened poops off, but the olive oil really does help a lot. I just use a fingertip and smear it on. I do find that cochins are a pain with pasty butt ... probably all the extra down to catch the sticky poops
roll.png
but if you keep at it they are just fine. I dry their rear end with the lowest setting on my hairdrier for a while before putting them back in the brooder.

Drafts are a killer for baby chicks! Probably a big part of your problem... hopefully the new accomodations are going to work better for them. I found that if it is really cold eg at night, then I partially cover the brooder (being super careful of course to not create a firehazard) and that seems to help a lot with bringing the temp up a bit and stabilises it too. Good luck figuring out all the twists and turns
smile.png
let us know how you go.

If you are patient and use just warm water and soap, the poo just comes off if you gently rub it with your bare fingers after a minute or so. Dry with a bit of TP. I think it happens to shipped chicks and stress due to dehydration of being shipped. Mine didn't have it past the 10 day mark, but I had to inspect them each day--the same ones each day or 2 would have it.

make sure the chicks can get away from the heat....... they don't need to be at 90 deg. 24/7.... i've got week old chicks running around outside at 50 deg.. they go warm up when they want....

Quote:
Its because pasty butt is due to stress (like from shipping) and they don't really get stressed when they are with a mommy.

I would be inclined to agree with you. My home hatched chicks never have pasty butt, but with a recent hatchery order, I can say I feel like a slave right now to cleaning chickie butts
wink.png

I might add after I clean the butts and dry them off, I take a qtip with baby oil and wipe that on, it really does sooth their butts and help future clean up come off the down soooooooooo much easier!

Thanks for all the posts on this. I have 3 chicks hatched at home in incubator but the runt is struggling. Sleeps a lot, pasties, not very active, but chirps a lot. Legs are very spindly too. Sound like anything else could be going on?

Back
Top Bottom