Pasty butt , loud chirp and a dead chick :(

Ahallred

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
Hello everyone I joined BYC last night thanks for making me feel welcome!!
I am a first time chick owner and having a challenging time. We are day 6 of my chicks lives. I have researched and watched every you tube imaginable thought we were doing things right. I noticed pasty butt and one of my chicks began to chirp a high pitched chirp and panting . I put her bum under warm water and cleaned the pasty but then dried her lightly. I noticed as I was cleaning she had a unusual scab on her belly button quite larger than the others could that be hurting her? I cleaned another chick and put her back but she seems in stress and has begun loud chirping as well. Then this morning I woke to a different chick dead. I am providing water with electrolytes and probiotics and continuous chick starter-grower . What am I doing wrong?? Please help!

Attachments

• 85C80FAC-703D-484E-B61E-19C7204AFADA.jpeg
    85C80FAC-703D-484E-B61E-19C7204AFADA.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 92
  • CB900D50-EB95-47B0-987F-7ED0AD03A1E2.jpeg
    CB900D50-EB95-47B0-987F-7ED0AD03A1E2.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 37
The scab might be nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it. Panting could indicate they are too warm so check your temperatures. It does look like they have ample room to get away from the heat when they get warm. At six days, chicks should not be getting sick and dying. I'd suggest you sterilize the feeders and waterers. Changing their litter each day should be done until no more chicks die. If you are giving other food stuffs beyond the chick starter I'd suggest you stop until health problems stop. Should your water source contain a lot of chemicals get water from another source; possibly bottled water.

Good luck.

I am only feeding chick starter and my temperature has been between 80-85 then 75 ish on most areas. I read another post about giving them coconut oil or rubbing olive oil on their bums is that a good idea? I will definitely clean all of their brooder and dishes and re fresh. Thank you.

The temp should be a bit higher when they are young, so your 80-85 is too low. Generally 95F first week, then lower by 5F each week (general idea). It is GOOD that the chicks can move between warm to cooler areas, so they have good space!! It is possible they were a bit cold stressed.

Water. ALWAYS provide Plain water, no additives, even if offering additive water. So, two waterers: one with electrolytes/probiotics, and one plain water.

Pasty butt: good job noticing and fixing it! Some chicks are more prone than others. But, usually not a problem after 10 days (or so). When I clean them off, they get patted dry and returned to the warmest spot in the brooder.

Feed: you are doing great! Crumble 24/7.

Note: personally, I put chicks on puppy pee pads for about 3-4 days. I can see how they walk, it also gives them traction, I can see how much and type of poop. The only thing to eat is feed, so they are not sampling the wood bits.

Also, I will utilize what I can to block drafts. Depends on where they are, but a well placed piece of thick/durable cardboard, a large towel hanging, a piece of plywood, can help deflect cold or drafts. After 2-3 weeks not as important bc they have a fair amount of feathers coming in.

Good luck!! Hopefully the rest continue to grow and live!

I had some serama chicks that were pecking each other’s chests and got scabs. It may be some kind of minor stress, since they stopped that once I changed their environment to outdoor.

I am only feeding chick starter and my temperature has been between 80-85 then 75 ish on most areas. I read another post about giving them coconut oil or rubbing olive oil on their bums is that a good idea? I will definitely clean all of their brooder and dishes and re fresh. Thank you.
Yes. putting oil on the vents of those with pasty butt is a good idea, but do not overdo it; just a bit of oil and just on their vent. Pasty butt is a common problem with short legged chicks like my serama and does not indicate a health problem, but with regular chicks it indicates an intestinal/digestive problem; especially if the feces are runny and sticky. Dry pasty butt is not as serious but still needs to be addressed by cleaning the vents.

The scab might be nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it. Panting could indicate they are too warm so check your temperatures. It does look like they have ample room to get away from the heat when they get warm. At six days, chicks should not be getting sick and dying. I'd suggest you sterilize the feeders and waterers. Changing their litter each day should be done until no more chicks die. If you are giving other food stuffs beyond the chick starter I'd suggest you stop until health problems stop. Should your water source contain a lot of chemicals get water from another source; possibly bottled water.

Good luck.
Adding Electrolyte supplement to the water should only be used every other day. It’s perishable so throw away what you don’t use

Back
Top Bottom