pasty butt?

I use vaseline. I got 9 new day old babies home today and even though none had pasty bums, I still greased them up LOL
lol.png
Just put some on the feathers right around their bum and it should help.

Didn't have vaseline at our little store, but cleaned her and used baby oil. Boy-she really did loose a little bit of fluff..Poor little naked butt!
sad.png

How will I know she is out of the woods?

Just keep an eye on her and she will be fine when she stops pasting up, not the most helpful comment but that is really when you know.

Pasty butt is not contagious but it is not only caused by shavings. It can be caused by stress, which is why it's a common ailment for shipped chicks. If the temp in the brooder gets too high or too low for a prolonged period it can stress them and cause pasting. Certain other things that they eat can stress their system and cause it. It is essentially a form of constipation.

Adding a small amount of molasses to the water will help pasty chicks recover quicker. Mix it so the water looks like a weak tea.

Looks like her little arse is getting better. I haven't actually witnessed the pooping in action, butt no more pasty butt (so that is good, right?Means she's pooping properly?).
hmm.png

Heh, heh
smile.png
I checked my six chicks this morning. One had a pasty. I cleaned her up. And, she promptly pooped on my shirt as I was holding her right after drying her off
big_smile.png

I just got them yesterday from TS. I checked them all at the store, and they were clear. But, I'll be keeping an eye on them daily. How long could they go without getting cleaned? My wife is in the hospital, so the little chickies are home alone while I'm at work. Will they be ok for 9 hours? I'm a little worried...

Todd

So glad I checked on here!! I just got my day old chicks yesterday and one is having the pasty butt issue. I knew to keep an eye on this and she's the only one having a problem so far. I'm concerned though because she is drinking more than eating, not as active. Any suggestions? I'm making sure her booty is clean.

Susan
2 Buff Orpington
2 Partridge Cochin

Back
Top Bottom