Pat Parelli Fans

My horses were trained using his methods and they are the best trail horses out there. Yes, there are idiots that watch a few shows and try to train a horse from scratch using the little that they saw, but those idiots would have screwed up their horses anyway.

I do use some of the 7 games when I'm working on ground work, but all I have is a rope halter I was given, a homemade "Parelli" leadrope and a lungewhip. Not a huge fan of Parelli himself, but I just do the games once in a while to help me bond with my horse.

I do like Gawani Pony Boy with the Native American Horsemanship. I have a DVD of his, and using his methods, combined with the 7 games, really works for my horse and other horses I work with.

I don't "follow" anyone, I just have books, DVDs, and read different things and combine them together and I get a really good result with the Joining Up process and things like that.

I have to say I really enjoy what I have learned from the Parelli's! I started My appy playing the games at about 18 months old. It gave us alot to do and things to practice doing. As a 2 yr old he was winning showmanhsip classes against the elders. I really think alot of that comes from the games. When arriving at a show - just a few minutes of a few games and he is calmed down and ready to go.

I am by no means a "No Whack" person - If they are misbehaving - a good whack and bring the brain back to the idea they are not suppose to be doing something.

I was interested in Clinton Anderson until I saw his imprint a newborn that was still wet! He rubbed that baby with a plastic bag - stuck it in his nose, ears, ect. Was Slapping his hooves. It just goes on - I was really turned off by that.

I think you have to find what is right for you and take a little from everyone.

I've gotten a lot of good stuff from him. My mom is in the "club" and she gets a new DVD each month, so Ive seen a bunch of his stuff. I think some of stuff is a little bit "show-off" but some other stuff is really good. I actually like Linda better, her approach is more similar to mine.

I saw both the parellis at a horse expo years ago. It was a neat show, but they did a part where they didn't use bridles and that has always scared me. Their horses were great, but I felt as if they were encouraging people who were not experts to go out, buy their products and try riding without a bridle. Just seemed a little bit dangerous for me.

I have not looked into the groundwork games, but I've had them recommended to me. Perhaps one day I'll check them out! Right now we've been using clinton anderson round pen methods, but sometimes I don't like the way he acts on his shows either. Usually I just use a little bit of training methods from everywhere and supplement with common sense.

Quote:
I think Parelli is one of the best methods for appies cuz they need to do something every second and the games are a fun way for a horse to learn. I have been to one of Clinton's tours not that impressed. SUre he was able to get the demo horses to do what he wanted but they were'nt that bad of horse.

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
At his tour we went to he used a lot of cuss words,called the horses rude names and didn't act very pro.

Parelli or Anderson?

Horse training is just another one of those things, you have to find what's right for you and your horses. There is more than one way to skin a cat
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom