patch of missing feathers

RueBuckaroo

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Miami, Florida
my muscovy male has had this rough patch of missing feathers on his side for as long as i can remember. they never really grew back in, not even when he molted. i’m not sure what it is. he’s well fed, gets the nutrition he needs, he’s healthy. what could this possibly be? and how can i fix his feathers?

Attachments

• 871FB2F3-1BA7-4A3E-816D-36058683A65F.jpeg
    871FB2F3-1BA7-4A3E-816D-36058683A65F.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 16
do you know what could be the cause of him doing that? he's the only duck i have.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but possibly boredom?- do you see him eating the feathers? He could need more protein if so I think.

Is there a reason that he's an only duck? Do you plan on getting him a few hens/or a drake friend?
Ducks really shouldn't be alone

I'm just thinking out loud here, but possibly boredom?- do you see him eating the feathers? He could need more protein if so I think.

Is there a reason that he's an only duck? Do you plan on getting him a few hens/or a drake friend?
Ducks really shouldn't be alone
no, i don't usually see him picking that particular spot. do you know what foods can have extra protein for him? i currently feed him from the brand mazuri. (here's the link: https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-waterfowl-maintenance-duck/dp/248786 )

and yes there is a reason why he is an only duck. he was found as an abandoned egg and i've taken care of him since. i also live in an apartment. unfortunately, he is afraid of other ducks as well. i have tried introducing him to a few females, he's terribly scared of them haha. i know it's not good for him to be alone; ducks are very sociable animals. that is why i take him outdoors daily and often have him hang out with me and my family.

no, i don't usually see him picking that particular spot. do you know what foods can have extra protein for him? i currently feed him from the brand mazuri. (here's the link: https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-waterfowl-maintenance-duck/dp/248786 )

and yes there is a reason why he is an only duck. he was found as an abandoned egg and i've taken care of him since. i also live in an apartment. unfortunately, he is afraid of other ducks as well. i have tried introducing him to a few females, he's terribly scared of them haha. i know it's not good for him to be alone; ducks are very sociable animals. that is why i take him outdoors daily and often have him hang out with me and my family.
You've done well for him!
Don't worry about changing the feed-
You could try offering him treats like mealworms, though, that can contain a good amount of protein to give him a little boost. My ducks ate some of their feathers during a big moult, and I gave them mealworms, peas etc as a treat occasionally, they pretty much stopped eating them as a result

You've done well for him!
Don't worry about changing the feed-
You could try offering him treats like mealworms, though, that can contain a good amount of protein to give him a little boost. My ducks ate some of their feathers during a big moult, and I gave them mealworms, peas etc as a treat occasionally, they pretty much stopped eating them as a result
oh okay that sounds good! i actually do have mealworms. thank you for the advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom