Will you help spread some joy?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Not this year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, it looks like fun!

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
We are planning on giving Christmas gifts to the mailman, the people that take our trash (the trash guys? :confused::gig), and an acquaintance of ours at the grocery store. :)
Something my Nana did once for her trash guys, is she put out a large sign of encouragement and how thankful she was of them by where her trash was.

Yesterday I made 11 dozen sugar cookies to freeze and today I made gingerbread cookies and peanut butter cups.
I frosted some for us to have, to get in the spirit of giving. :) My husband and boys were very grateful.
I still have several things to make, and then to pack up to give.
IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

Those all look delicious!, & I especially love the gingerbread people. I fully understand where your heart is, re attempting to bring joy to others instead of focusing on your own loss. Quite a few years ago I experienced a major loss of my own. As the holiday season approached, I was in a state of grief and just wasn't feeling the "Christmas spirit" at all. I festively decorated my house as always before, but all I felt was numb.

I decided even if I wasn't going to enjoy Christmas that year, maybe i could try and bring some joy to others. So I went to a local nursing home and asked how many residents lived there, both male and female. The head nurse was very appreciative and encouraging. She told me "some of the residents never have visitors or get gifts."

I then went shopping and made a gift bag for each resident. When I returned to the nursing home on Christmas eve with over 70 gift bags, the the nurse encouraged me to deliver the gifts personally. But I was shy and hesitant, & so declined.

Im telling this story here for two reasons: 1)Making gift bags for the nursing home residents Did help distract from my grief and loss that year. In fact it's the main thing i remember from that Christmas.
2)Gifts don't only have to be given to people we know. Yes it's good to show our appreciation to the people who make our lives better and easier throughout the year. Striving to brighten the lives of strangers is a worthy endeavor too.❤

Those all look delicious!, & I especially love the gingerbread people. I fully understand where your heart is, re attempting to bring joy to others instead of focusing on your own loss. Quite a few years ago I experienced a major loss of my own. As the holiday season approached, I was in a state of grief and just wasn't feeling the "Christmas spirit" at all. I festively decorated my house as always before, but all I felt was numb.

I decided even if I wasn't going to enjoy Christmas that year, maybe i could try and bring some joy to others. So I went to a local nursing home and asked how many residents lived there, both male and female. The head nurse was very appreciative and encouraging. She told me "some of the residents never have visitors or get gifts."

I then went shopping and made a gift bag for each resident. When I returned to the nursing home on Christmas eve with over 70 gift bags, the the nurse encouraged me to deliver the gifts personally. But I was shy and hesitant, & so declined.

Im telling this story here for two reasons: 1)Making gift bags for the nursing home residents Did help distract from my grief and loss that year. In fact it's the main thing i remember from that Christmas.
2)Gifts don't only have to be given to people we know. Yes it's good to show our appreciation to the people who make our lives better and easier throughout the year. Striving to brighten the lives of strangers is a worthy endeavor too.❤
Somehow I missed something in this thread, and never discovered it till what you are saying here. Thank you so much for starting this thread, @BirdsBeesTrees! Some of us really need to just plain go through this thread reading it. :hugs :hugs :hugs

That's amazing! Thank you for sharing, that's what can inspire others too!
:hugs In real life I would give you a big hug.

Here in Baton Rouge we have community fridges in parking lots across the city that are completely open to whoever needs it. No signup, no vetting, anyone can get it and anyone can donate. I already regularly donate to it but I’m going to try to go more often this December!

Also, we have a sweet homeless guy that we see on a bench every time we drive by. I’m going to bring him a gift basket very soon.

Back
Top Bottom