Pea Comb x Single Comb and got a Buttercup Comb?

Interesting that there are "3 major comb alleles". S on chromosome 1, D on chromosome 2, and R on chromosome 7. I've often wondered how many modifiers there are. I've seen 3 or 4 in my chickens and pictures here suggest a few more.

Interesting that there are "3 major comb alleles". S on chromosome 1, D on chromosome 2, and R on chromosome 7. I've often wondered how many modifiers there are. I've seen 3 or 4 in my chickens and pictures here suggest a few more.
Why are you calling one S?

D is Duplex, and R is Rose.
But in all the literature I can find, the other one is P for Pea.
S is Silver (sex linked silver/gold.)

http://kippenjungle.nl/sellers/page3.html

"Single" comb is the wild-type form, and is not-rose, not-duplex, and not-pea. So calling any one of comb genes "single" is very confusing, since changing any one of them gives a not-single comb.

Why do you say that?

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-associated-with-a-novel-20-Kb_fig3_273780882
This page says they found a different bit of genetic code for one than for the other.

I've had two different lines of chickens, one ten years ago and one I currently have, that each got their duplex allele from a single V-combed hen in the beginning but subsequently produced homozygous duplex birds with both buttercup and v shape comb types - among other variations.

I've had two different lines of chickens, one ten years ago and one I currently have, that each got their duplex allele from a single V-combed hen in the beginning but subsequently produced homozygous duplex birds with both buttercup and v shape comb types - among other variations.
That is very interesting!

Three major comb alleles with multiple allelic mutations on each of them and many more modifiers.

I got same, this is cockorel 2 months old

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-04-05-04-52-419_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-04-05-04-52-419_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 8
Will chime in to say that the rooster in the pics is NOT pea comb. That is a modified comb of some type where two different genes are being expressed. Look closely at a homozygous pea comb bird and note the tiny notches along the center of the comb. Then study your bird.
Looks like a pea x single comb, which would technically be considered a pea comb.

This one might be interesting just for grins. http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/cush.jpg

It segregated out from a cross of flat rose comb X straight comb. It is a stable comb type meaning it breeds true when same type parents are crossed. It is not strawberry comb as the comb does not extend out over the beak. It is not walnut comb as it would segregate some rose comb chicks when same type is crossed.
It appears to be a rose comb with an inverted leader.

Back
Top Bottom