Pea pics from today

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TerriLaChicks, Nov 6, 2011.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    The boys are starting to get their eye feathers!
    Romeo, pied with 50-50 chance of split to peach:
    [​IMG]
    closeup of his train:
    [​IMG]
    and flight feathers: (what do you genetists think? split or is this normal for pieds)?
    [​IMG]

D'artagnan, my Buford Bronze, possibly split to -- I think Mr Burt you said pied? These two were from your 2010 hatch.
    [​IMG]
    D'arts eye feathers forming -- and listen, camera pics DO NOT do justice to the coloring of the Buford Bronze! his feathers actually have a sort of deep purple cast in sunlight but I have never been able to pick it up on camera. But it's there & I'm not the only one who sees it so I'm not dreaming it! He has white feathers on both sides & also a white throat patch.
    [​IMG]
    The gang, all waiting impatiently for their treats - (this is why I can never get good pics of them without a helper)!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They are absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Terri, you sure have done the boys good.

The one is a Silver pied correct 50% odd could be split peach.

The bronze sure colored out nice...if you find his wing number i may be able to tell you his mother....hens in that pen BS, Pied, Silver pied, white eye, all four split bronze...father was bronze.

Some of the eggs i knew which peahen layed them. by looking at him now....not the BS hen....so good odd his mother was pied or silver pied.

Both of those boys will breed this spring.

Now to give up one of my secrets......with 4 different hens.......the way i knew who layed what !! in this case two hen layed one day the other two the next day.. plus most peahens lay late. so i had two large dogs cages in their pen(barn) i place two hen(one ready to lay) one in each cage, at 7 pm. Let them out in the am , then place the two other hens in the cages again around 7 pm. so i knew about 80% of the eggs which hen layed them.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Thank you for the compliments Deerman! I am very proud of all of my peas. They get the best care I am capable of giving them. We go out & feed them treats & talk to them every evening, and they are gentle around us, and will call to us when they see us up at the house. As soon as Jim gets into a walking cast (next 2 weeks) I will enlist his help to distract them while I get some better pics. Yesterday they would not leave me alone - every time I tried to back up to get a photo, they'd come right up to me & beg for treats. I would circle around & they would circle around too, thought it was a great fun game. Silly birds.

That's pretty cool about your method of telling which hen laid which egg -- I'll have my 2 pairs split into separate pens/runs next year so will know who laid what.

The pics don't show it well, but D'art (the Bronze) is the largest of all of them -- very elegant bird, beautiful head & neck & well proportioned. I'll get a look at his wing band & let you know his numbers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Beautiful peacocks! That silver pied has great markings, especially in his train that is going to be great looking when he is three.

6. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

awww sha, you have some great looking boys. hope all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by