peach split to

Does that mean peach male bred to peach female produce not only peaches but also purples and Cameos?. I have not bred. I do not have any practical experience, but very keen on learning Thanks.

I don't know, have not bred peach either. Was very tempted to get a single Peach and breed to wild type and see if they segregate into peach, cameo or purple. That would settle things for once, but never liked this color(and worried I would not be able to get rid of them by selling) and not into peafowl much anymore.

My guess is the purple is result of either a peach male that is something like Zp Zc- one on each chromosome. Maybe Z p and c on one chromosome and Zp on the other?

If the male has *both* p and c on *both* chromosomes, like this Z p c Z p c, then I'm not sure how crossing in this situation over would result in chromosome with only p or c on it.

I do know the very first Peach showed up when the very first Purple was bred with a Cameo... shows crossing over was relatively easy- from memory, he did not produce many chicks from the first birds...? might be wrong. anyways the point stands, seems relatively easy to cross over for those two genes.

Last edited:
Zs=purple gene, Zc= cameo gene. Zs Zs= purple male. Zsw=purple female ZcZc = cameo male. Zcw = Cameo female. Now if Zs and Zc appear on the same Z chromosome = cross over chromosome. Two of these chromosomes makes a Peach male. One of this cross over chromosome and a w ( sex chromosome makes ) makes a peach hen. Zc Zs on one Z chromosome and one Zc on the other = Cameo split peach (not purple explains Aqua eyes at great length). Similarily, Zc Zs on one and Zs on the other = Purple split peach not purple split Cameo according to Aqua eyes again. A peach male is ZcZS on one and ZcZs on the other. My question is What is the genotype of a Peach split purple ???? ( As per Our friend Yoda's conversation with Hopkins live stock, he produced some peach split purple ) or What is the genotype of a Peach split cameo?????? Any opinions and or ideas or facts for my and everybody's understanding.

Last edited:
would be plausible if peach IS both purple and cameo- which has been brought up several times over the years- and the loci are not particularly close to each other, allowing them to segregate not so rarely. It's a mistake to assume ALL cross overs are going to be very tightly linked. And so that's how purples/cameos seem to come out of peach fairly regularly AND how the first peach showed up from the first discovered purple bred to a cameo.
The appearance of a first peach hen from a cross of a purple bred to a cameo Is not the routine or normal process of breeding. It is one of the chromosomal aberrations that occured in genetics. Routinely, A purple male bred to a cameo female = IB looking males split to purple and Cameo, and purple females. When one of the chromosomal aberations (variations) kicked in one gene from one Z chromosome crossed over to other other , therby this new Z chromosome contains two genes " Zs and Zp " and then paired up with sex chromosome W. How is it possible.? you may ask. Simply we do not know . That is nature. The same thing with Mutations. A sudden and abrupt change. Why it should happen in the first place? Any answers.?. For example white color is a mixture of all colors that we can possibly think of. Every other color comes from white. What a wonderful mutation occured in Indiablue peafowl to produce a white peafowl ? if that is what it is.

Last edited:
That is correct. A cameo hen can not be split to any other color. But. can be associated with any or a combination of pattern genes. like , white, pied and white eye genes.. That is how, we have, cameo split white, cameo split pied, cameo pied, Cameo pied white eye, Cameo silverpied, and cameo white eye birds.

That is correct. A cameo hen can not be split to any other color. But. can be associated with any or a combination of pattern genes. like , white, pied and white eye genes.. That is how, we have, cameo split white, cameo split pied, cameo pied, Cameo pied white eye, Cameo silverpied, and cameo white eye birds.
She has white flight feathers, the breeder found that a bit strange sence the cameo male was with a bronze and a blackshouldered hen no white orpied gene expressed by any of the parents
hu.gif
but then i got pieds out of her IB pen and none of the parents had any white except what is normal for a regular IB

Last edited:
I also see a white throat patch. She may be split white, like I explained above. This is another convincing way of telling that white is a pattern gene or behaves at least that way.

Last edited:
She has white flight feathers, the breeder found that a bit strange sence the cameo male was with a bronze and a blackshouldered hen no white orpied gene expressed by any of the parents
hu.gif
but then i got pieds out of her IB pen and none of the parents had any white except what is normal for a regular IB A
A pied pea fowl must inherit a "white gene" from one parent and a "pied gene " from another. Otherwise there can not be a pied peafowl. Like Our friend Mr Arbor had, at one time peafowl split to white with out white being expressed any where on him or her.That was his personal observation from his breeding practices.. He also told me that a peafowl with a single pied gene - will be with neither white flights nor throat patch.. Therefore, it is a possibility- need not be strange nor surprise.-- It is my opinion.

When i purchased my Cameo baby girl i was told that she could not be split to anything because she was sex linked, was i miss informed?

hu.gif
but then i got pieds out of her IB pen and none of the parents had any white except what is normal for a regular IB

zazouse
A cameo hen can be split to another color. The male she is out of was a cameo and if the hen was the bronze hen she is split bronze if it was the blackshoulder hen she is split blackshoulder. All peafowl that are split white will show white on them if they are split pied only they will show no white that is why you produce pieds.

Back
Top Bottom