Peachick--Hand Raising Questions

BeckyBird

Crowing
14 Years
May 11, 2008
Hi! Well, I successfully hatched one peachick, and I did not know they would be so different than raising chicks. I have hatched and raised chicks, ducks, geese, quail, pheasants, but this is my first peachick ever. I should have read up on them, but in a way, I felt like if I were prepared for the egg to hatch, then somehow it wouldn't. (Superstitious!)

So, the baby is now 6 days old, and it seems like he is very attached to people. I read that they are not as independent as chicks, and they really need their mother. So, I have been very involved in this little guy's life. Right now in fact, he is sleeping under my shirt. He loves to cuddle! I know ducks and geese can imprint on people, but this little fellow seems to have them beat!

Has anybody raised a peachick as a family pet before? Or played the role as "mother"? I would like to raise this baby as close to people as I can, so if anybody else has done this successfully, I would appreciate some stories!

One more question, about feeding...he really does not like the gamebird starter yet. But, he goes wild for mealworms and bugs, hard boiled yolk, and fresh greens. Will this be alright until he starts to eat the gamebird starter? I read that they need a high protein diet, and bugs are his preference.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. I think I have fallen in love with this little angel, so I want to do everything right.

have NO clue as to your questions, but wanted to congratulate you on your new baby! Here's to a long, happy, healthy life!
big_smile.png

Aww, thank you so much! I've hatched so many birds, but this little guy is already very special to me. He is so different than the rest
smile.png

Well, I have never mothered a peachick but I do have a very very attatched Muscovy Duck. He is my little baby boy. He comes when called, lives INSIDE (And he's now 2 months). And cries the moment I leave. Byfar he is the most loving pet I have ever owned, even more than my dog. She seems to be in her own world 98% of the time anyways. My duck follows me and cuddles up to me when I watch tv, and knows the entire layout of my house. The only thing I am really working on is making him leash trained, I should have started younger
sad.png
. It's pretty great having a duck as a best friend. I hope you have good luck with your peachick :). Being your birds best friend is something else. It's like the best feeling in theworld. Knowing your duck loves you. Ahahahahha.

I hand raise all my peachicks so they will be easy to work with. They do get very attached and my males still come up to me to get a chin scratch or get into the middle of whatever I'm doing. If he has trouble eating the gamebird, try putting a chick in with him. I also dye the food with red or green food coloring. This seems to attract them to it better. The other things your feeding are good too. Peafowl don't seem to eat as much as chickens and such, so don't expect him to be a big piggy like chicks. Also peck with your finger what you want him to eat and he'll be more interested in it. If it is an IB chick, you can tell the sex by the wing color. Males will show some burnt sienna color, females a choclatey brown.
smile.png

Just place boil egg yolks over the game bird starter, cut back a little on the egg yolk each day. I only feed yolks to get them eating, to much yolk are to high in protien.

To high protien can cause leg problems. Talking over 30%.

Best to keep him off the ground, and need him eating a medicated starter. The first few months.

Post a pic, maybe able to tell you wath you have.

Thanks for all the nice replies everybody! It is nice to come here and talk to others who love their birds as much as I love mine
big_smile.png

I will try to get some pictures tonight of the little angel (still need a name too!)

As for the parents, I got the egg from my brother-in-law's neighbor. They've had the peacocks for several years now, and there are even babies there from last year. The father is definitely an india blue, but the mother is white with brown and gray. She seems to look more like a blackshoulder hen. All the babies look like normal india blues.

It puzzles me, because my baby is yellow, with light beige wings. He really resembles a white baby, or even a blackshoulder baby. I guess we will have to wait a few months to see which color he might become!

Yes blackshoulder peachick look like they will be white. Then get darker as they age. If yellow sounld like Blackshoulder, you will know in a few weeks.

ive raised all mine indoors as normal pets, they are the best pets ive ever owned. To me they are more affectionate than dogs or cats.
They tame up so nicely & stay that way. Mine would fly across the yard (full grown) and fight to have a spot on my shoulders..i cant say enough good things about peafowl..my favorite bird species of all :)

Update on the baby....

He is doing well! I finally got him to eat the starter crumbles....I added some water to it, and mixed in a little cottage cheese! He liked to peck the cottage cheese, so I slowly removed the cheese until he was eating just crumbles! Also, I give him fresh greens and mealworms for treats, and I change the water several times a day.

I do have a question about behavior.....
Today, when I put my hand in there to feed him, he started to display at my hand. His tail went up, wings down, and he even shook a bit! Then, he jumped onto my hand. Does this mean he is a male? He is not even 2 weeks old yet, and already acting like a boy. I know with chicken chicks, sometimes the males will start jumping and raising their necks at each other, at a young age.

Ok, there will be some pictures tonight, I promise! And thanks for all the help so far. This is a new adventure for me!

Back
Top Bottom