peacock as a indoor pet

Don't forget to baby-proof your house... Peas are very curious and are likely to swallow small, shiny objects like coins, jewelry, marbles, rocks, bits of plastic, foam, etc.

-Kathy
It's worse a human baby...
About the shiny objects, don't worry, there are not much in my home, and i know the birds love jewellery. I had cockatiel that loves the gold, silver and iron.

Ok, I will consider what you tell me to have the experience. All that we took for granted. I'm taking note of everything that you're telling me
A bird with imprinting can't be cared with other person? I never know that imprinted birds can't be with other persons and without her "mother". What they do with the birds was used for documentaries like peuple migrateur or fly away home? I don't think Anna Paquin haves the 16 geese in her home...
Thanks
I don't know the first movie you are talking about, but what happened in "Fly Away Home" is vastly different than what you are proposing to do, starting with the fact that the geese were raised in a flock, not as an individual bird. They were also raised outside, not indoors, and raised to be wild animals to the best of their caretaker's ability, and afterward were released into the wild population. You don't intend to do any of this (and shouldn't do any of this as peafowl are not a native species where you live).

What you are proposing to do is to raise a single (and it HAS to be single if you want to raise a pea "domesticated" enough to live indoors) peafowl, indoors, and keep it indoors unless it doesn't (and it won't, I can promise you that) fit your idea of what a good indoor pet should be. A one-on-one imprint is much, much stronger than a human raising a group of birds, and a one-on-one imprinted pea *suffers* when taken from the person that comprises its flock. Not to mention that one-on-one imprints "fit in" less and less with the other birds the longer you keep them apart.

I had to move Osiris, my first imprint, to a friend's house for a while because I was I searching for a new home a few years ago and she spent a lot of her time for the duration of her stay there standing at the edge of the pen where she'd last seen me, trying to call me back home to her. It was *heartbreaking* to walk away from when I visited. It was horrible for her, it was horrible for me, it's NOT something you want to do. When I go outside now that our home is together, she still rushes over to where I am to say hello.

Now I understand!, I didn't think that we are raised to be wild animals...and about the flock. To have a "inseparable friend" you must have only one is what you try to speak me. When they are in flock, can be pets because one of the group have antoher, and they don't need all of my cares.
Peuple migrateur it's a french documental who was nominated for the Oscar. In english it's Winged migration. I'm sure you know about what I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Thanks

Regarding Pfauenfreund's post about not wanting to sell you eggs, I would do the same thing. He has imported green peafowl, which are pure, which are hard to come by. He does not raise them for production, but rather lets nature take its course. Him giving you eggs would be a waste, considering that you may not have the best motives for them, especially greens. I hope green peafowl are out of the picture.

Now I understand!, I didn't think that we are raised to be wild animals...and about the flock. To have a "inseparable friend" you must have only one is what you try to speak me. When they are in flock, can be pets because one of the group have antoher, and they don't need all of my cares.
Peuple migrateur it's a french documental who was nominated for the Oscar. In english it's Winged migration. I'm sure you know about what I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Thanks
I don't believe I have watched that documentary.

But yes. Those birds had a flock. In order to raise a peafowl tame enough to stay indoors past 3 months old, you would need to raise it without a flock, so that you are its flock. Planning to do this to a bird and then abandon it afterward (when it does exactly what we are telling you it will do), is not nice or acceptable.

You might be better off doing your documentary on the wild birds or someone else's penned or free-range birds from the start, rather than finding out the hard way that peafowl do not make good indoor pets. This would ensure your time is not wasted, as well as ensure that no peafowl is harmed.

I don't believe I have watched that documentary.

I recomend you to see that documentary, it's very beautiful.
I didn't know that one bird have been bred with humans can have this behavior, have dependece. Now if i'll have only one bird, it have dependence to me, but if I have more than one No. It's that?(I don't said that i'm going to have one or more than one in this reply, I suppose only
I know that green peafowl are more hard to raise and more expensive, but it's not necesary say that you're not going to sell me this eggs... and you done a little racist comment. I think all the species are the same but the humans we apply to them a price. If we don't put a price to anything, they don't be important the type of breed, it will be only important if that breed like you or not.
Thanks

It's worse a human baby...
About the shiny objects, don't worry, there are not much in my home, and i know the birds love jewellery. I had cockatiel that loves the gold, silver and iron.

Above are what I found in a peacock gizzard that died.

-Kathy

Oh my god!, but that are not shiny objects. If I will have them, They will be in my view all the time or in her place. When they grow, in my eye and never let him alone without supervising the small things in the floor.
I never thought it could happen that. Sorry about your peacock...
Thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom